New Macbook.. Few Questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Confuzzeled23, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

Hey Everyone,
    My first Mac and my first Macbook arrived today. I just have a few questions about different things. I went through the setup process and used my Apple ID to enter all my info. However, I didn't change my shortname on my account. Therefore, I was created a new admin account and deleted my initial one. So, I was wondering if all my info, street address, phone number, etc. Is still all saved on my new account.

Firstly, I have put the password on my account for the different 'locks' that are on the different preferences. Are you able to have a password for these locks, and not for when you actually start your computer?

Secondly, I am finding that when I type I keep hitting the trackpad by accident and it jumps to another area. I was wondering where the options for accidental track pad clicks were?

Thirdly, my desktop windows XP Pro PC shows up in finder. But when I click it, it says to connect as..., I try to connect as a registered user, and I enter my username and password for my mac, but it is not connecting. Am I entering the wrong name and password. Or is there something that needs to be changed on my PC.

Finally, I have set up my Gmail with Apple Mail, and it seems like a great program, however, it is downloading all my mail into the main inbox instead of into all the folders I have them sorted into on my gmail. I was wondering how to make folders and organize, or if there was a way to make mail download all my mail already organized.

I think this is most of my questions for now.

Thanks for any help.:apple:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

1. Yes, you can set it up so you have to enter a password upon booting up. The option is in the Account area of the System Preferences. You'll have to enter your password anytime to access "locked" options in any of the control panels no matter what (so long as the lock is locked).

2. Under "mouse" or "trackpad" in system preferences (I forget what it's called, not on my MB at the moment" there's a check box "ignore accidental inputs.

3. You'll need to enter your username/password of the windows account, not the mac account to access your windows computer (as if you were actually on the windows machine). Alternatively, you can setup another account just for network access on the PC side.

4. There is a way to make sub folders, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I think you'd "right click" (two finger click) on the mailbox, and there should be an add folder option. You'd then need to setup rules in your account settings within mail to tell it how to sort the messages.

3. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    However, I could not find the check box for accidental mouse click.
    Also, my Windows PC doesn't have a password, and when I enter the user name of my windows PC account, and blank password. Nothing happens.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'll check about the trackpad when I get home. As for your windows box, did you try using the guest option?

5. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again,
    I am connected as guest successfully. However it is just blank. What folder does this allow me to see specifically on my PC? Shared folder?

Also, since I deleted my initial account. Will all my info still be tied to my new account. Or was that step in the start process just registering my Macbook?

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm not sure about the personal info bit. As far as what's available to Guest access, I believe it is the shared folder, and you may be able to assign other folders as sharable from their sharing properties within Windows (not sure at all).

Now that I've checked, it appears that either with the Unibody, or Leopard as a whole the "ignore accidental input" option isn't available anymore. Darn.

7. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

I think with Unibodies its disabled because of multitouch. That being said I haven't had any issues with accidental input on my MB and I don't think you can tap to click with it either I could be wrong though...