New MacBook flash HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Jan 8, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I'm waiting till the 15th before I decide which notebook to get for live/studio music use (Logic Studio mostly).

As long as the new MB graphics card is able to run Mainstage (apparently they can't currently), I'd like to get one of the rumoured ultraslim MacBooks for portability/money/coolness :p

But, the one thing worrying me is the rumoured 64GB flash HD. How would this perform with Logic compared to the MBP 5400rpm standard HD?

And, approx how much space does a normal Leopard install take up?

Thanks!

2. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

My understanding of SSD vs HDD is that they can average a 100X performance increase. I don't know of many sites doing comparisons so if someone could help validate this you would be helping the both of us.

I can't say much to the storage issue for Leopard since I am awaiting a new MBP following MWSF. :D

EDIT: I found this on youtube. I wouldn't say 100X but it is faster. I like the shake test because I always find my self watching movies while driving over interstate rumble strips. :rolleyes:

HTH

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome, thanks. I guess it makes sense, no moving parts, nothing to spin up/down (like the way the iPhone (flash) doesnt have the spin-up delay of the HD-based iPods).

What about cache etc.? The main use will be Mainstage, playing software instruments live, so everything needs to perform very smoothly and efficiently even on big samples and with lots going on...

If the new MB has an updated gfx card then that would push me I think!

4. Tara Davis macrumors regular

I do something similar (using Garageband rather than Mainstage), and there's a trick I highly reccomend:

Rackmount a mini. They are slightly taller than a 1U appliance, so it takes a little creativity to make it work, but it's worth it because it totally eliminates the need for a cable snake!!!

All you need is a laptop, even an old cheap iBook, to run either 10.5's remote desktop client (or "Chicken of the VNC" if you are on 10.4 or older) and your sound tech can run the "board" WIRELESSLY from anywhere in the room, using the Airport cards in the mini & the laptop. Leave all the amps, preamps, processors, etc., up on the side or back of the stage in a rack with the mini, and there's no need to touch any of it once it's all connected. ^_^V

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting idea!

Are we expecting these new ultraslim MacBooks to be cheaper than the current MacBook, or more expensive?

And, with a rumoured lack of CD/DVD drive, can I install Logic from the DVD drive in my other mac, and choose the MacBooks HD across the wireless network to install on?

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

My guess is more expensive. If it DOES HAVE a SSD, the price will be over the MB easily. If it is running any form of C2D Mobile, over the MB. If it bears the MacBook Pro name, it MUST be more than the MB

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I guess that too. Hopefully not much more expensive though!

As it will probably have no optical drive, can I install Logic in my main Mac, and choose my MacBook as the installation drive over my wifi network? If not, how could I do it without buying the external DVD for the MacBook?

8. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Mainstage is horrible at the moment. You can not use it at full capacity yet imo, this thing eats your processor once you get passed a treshold (and it's not set very high I'll tell you that). With eating your CPU I do mean eating it.

9. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've read some people have trouble with it, and others say they're using it with loads of sounds and effects, with no problems.

So, I figured the best thing would be to try it for a couple of weeks as I'm going to use it. I can always return the MacBook within 2 weeks if it doesn't work out.

Can I install Logic from my Mac onto my MacBook over the network?