New macbook for med student

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jboyd710, Mar 11, 2015.

1. jboyd710 macrumors member

Hello, I just wanted to see if the new base line model MacBook would be good for a med student. My Fiance is going back to school for a Nurse Anesthetist program. She has never had a mac before, but is quite familiar with iphone and apple in general. I am an avid mac user and wanted to convert her. Do you all thing this is a good jumping off point mac? or would be better suited by the MacBook air?

2. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Get the Air. It's cheaper and has longer battery life and more ports. Don't get a first generation Apple product.

3. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

Does she own a computer or she just borrows yours when she needs one? And if she does own one, does she plug anything to them such as external displays, flash drives, external drives, keyboard, mouse, etc.... Right now it would be tough for anybody to give you advice on a product that hasn't been released. You might be better off waiting for them to be released and go to a store and check them out yourself.

4. chukronos macrumors 6502

I'd go Macbook air or wait on a mac and get a Asus Zen.

5. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Presumably a student would spend a lot of time looking at the screen. 12" isn't anywhere near big enough for a daily driver.

I'd buy one for travel purposes, but there's no way I could personally put up with a 12" screen on my primary device.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

12" should work just fine as a primary device, especially since the screen is 16:10 unlike the 11-inch Air. It's not a big drop-off for people coming from 13 inch laptops.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

+1. Don't bother with the new "FashionBook", unless she likes gold colour.
    MacBook Air will be much better for her.

8. jboyd710 thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately she loves the gold.

She does have an older computer and uses my mac when she needs something quicker.

Battery life is a good point and the macbook air's seem to have master that.

She doesnt use much external storage, primary everything is locally stored or stored on the cloud.

I guess my lean towards the macbook air is taking over after hearing all of the comments. However I love the design and personally I am so excited for the use of USB-C. I hope apple starts utilizing that port across their products.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you're looking at the macbook, keep in mind the macbook pro 13 is about the same price for a lot more power and ports. I'd go with the pro or air.

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Don't get the MacBook. Watch MKBHD's video on YouTube. Great review, and he'll show you why the MacBook is a big mistake.

I would consider buying the Air.