new macbook for the girlfriend, but...??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fobdout, Nov 25, 2007.

1. fobdout macrumors newbie

hey guys. I bought a new white macbook for the girlfriend and I'm planning on installing 4gb of ram as well as a 200gb 7200rpm hdd. i know, I'm a great boyfriend! :p

anyway, when I reinstall Leopard on the new hdd, I want her to go thru the whole 'welcome' in different languages and setting up the computer herself for her own specifications.

does anyone know how I can install leopard on a new hdd, but then stop it just before it goes thru the whole hooplah and the user configurations??? also, should I transfer all the info from the original hdd or just use the included dvds?

thanks!!

2. SavageMac macrumors member

I don't know if that is possible, but then again I just switched to a Mac <1 week ago.

I say give it to her as it is now. Let her goof with it. Then be the sexy man and upgrade it for her right before her eyes, bent over the MB with a screwdriver, have a mysterious look in your eyes as if it is full of supreme worldly knowledge, grunt a little if you have to, and you'll be bound to get a gift from her too:eek:

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

haha
    Thats a pretty sick gift for you GF.

For the whole Leopard intro thing, you could just have it start to upgrade, and wait till you get to the "Restart your computer Now" part, at which point you should just Manually shut down the computer. When your girlfriend starts it up, it should start up in the whole Welcome thing.

Hope that Helps:D

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

He would be bent over the macbook doing the whole "Mysterious" look for around 30 mins waiting for it upgrade :p

5. SavageMac macrumors member

That is 30 mins of built up tension to, um, get on that Macbook & start iTuning:p

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

more like 10, it is very very easy to do.

7. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I would opt for a slower hard drive , it's easier on the battery.

8. thies macrumors regular

I'd be more concerned with heat and thus discomfort as well as increased fan noise than battery with a higher rpm drive.