New MacBook gets hot in bag... battery drains

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jarekanderson, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jarekanderson macrumors newbie

HI

I have a new MacBook ALU. The battery health is 100, and there has been no issue with heat or fans until today. I had it plugged in, it was fully charged then I unplugged it, and stuck in in my crumpler backpack to go to work... so it was sleeping, as I rarely turn it off. Then I took it out of the bag about 4 hours later, and the whole thing was warm to the touch... even the sleeve in the bag, as well as other items in the bag were warm to the touch. I opened it, and it wouldn't turn on... when I plugged it in, there was a warning that OSX had shut down unexpectedly (but I just put it to sleep by closing it). And the battery was totally drained.

What happened here???

Thanks,

Jarek

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Run a search and you'll find out that it usually happens because the laptop didn't properly go to sleep in the first place, which could've happened for a number of reasons (bluetooth devices, etc).
    Here's another thread that deals with this issue ... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=604789

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

This has nothing to do with the OP's problem. The laptop doesn't get warm while in SLEEP mode, so his MB obviously didn't go to sleep in the first place.
    Also, sleep will not drain a battery in 4 hours...
    Pay more attention when you read the question. :D

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I agree with the post that suggests you aren't allowing your computer to drop completely into sleep mode before packing it away.

5. jarekanderson thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick replies! checking those out now... I think it might be that I had just installed a pool game widget, and I think I closed with dashboard open while the game was in the settings pane... MB might have had trouble forcing it to exit or something...

6. jarekanderson thread starter macrumors newbie

By not letting it fully go to sleep, what do you mean??? This is the only time I didn't wait for the little white light to "snore" after shutting the cover... would that have indicated to me that all was well in the state of denmark???

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yes, try to let the white light start blinking before you move the MB. The HDD is still working up until that point, and it's not good for it to be moved while it's parking the head.
    And, also the blinking light will tell you that the MB has successfully gone to sleep.

8. Pixellated macrumors 65816

+1 - Definitely wait for it to light up.

9. jarekanderson thread starter macrumors newbie

excellent... you have been most helpful!!!

I see that there seem to be a number of different degrees of the powerdrain on the above mention links... some folks with MBP's are talking about a 20% drain overnight... but there are a few like me who report nearly melted bags and such. Because there was a warning about unexpected shutdown... I would think this was a fluke because of the crummy widget I installed or something. I will make sure to check for the 'snore' from now on.

It won't blink if the computer is not fully asleep, correct?

10. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

I had the same problem. Here's how to fix it!
    1. Open bluetooth prefs
    2. click the advanced button.
    3. deselect allow bluetooth devices to wake the computer.
    4. Shut down the macbook.
    5. Make for sure the magsafe is DISconnected.
    6. Remove the battery.
    7. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds.
    8. Replace the battery
    9. Ta Da

Let me know if it works for ya

11. jarekanderson thread starter macrumors newbie

Beanlok

How did you find this out??? What am I doing by holding the power button on while the battery is out?? My MB has never had the bluetooth wake feature on... so I'm not sure if this will work?

12. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

The bluetooth part of my recommendation was due to the ability of bluetooth devices to wake your macbook during sleep mode. If bluetooth is off altogether you should be able to rule that out however if it is enabled go to bluetooth prefs and deselect allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer.
    the later of the instruction set i provided resets your smc. Info about the SMC and what reseting it does can be found here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411
    Let me know if it works.
    btw the smc and bluetooth have nothing to do with one another.