new macbook getting slow?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radionickhead, Nov 22, 2008.

1. radionickhead macrumors regular

I've had my macbook for about a month. It's starting to get slow though. I type quite fast, and whether its in adium/firefox/safari - I type and the text takes a while to "register" onto the screen.
    This is also the case when using backspace and two finger scrolling. I did a verify disk and it said the disk is "ok". Apparently I have to run repair disk with the startup cd but since it said the disk is "ok" I figured it wouldnt be necessary.
    I'm currently on 2gb RAM, but it wasn't this slow to begin with anyway. Any ideas anyone?

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Open Activity Monitor and see if there are any processes taking up a LOT of memory or CPU. IF there are, close them and see if that helps...

3. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

A lot of icons/folders/files on your desktop can slow macs down awfully.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I know you said it's getting slow. But is it really slower than a month ago when you first got it, or you just starting to notice the lagging now.

Either way, try do a maintenance with Oynx. It's been known to speed things up.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

sounds like a reboot is in order. also go to sysprefs/accounts/login items and see what lurks.

7. dextermorgan macrumors member

Had mine for about a month and I have noticed a definite slow down. Gonna try Onyx but you're not alone OP.

8. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Onyx or Cocktail. Either one might help. I run mine (Cocktail) At least once a month to keep everything in top shape.;)