New Macbook getting strangely hot in one spot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by urmom, Nov 6, 2008.

1. urmom macrumors newbie

I've had my new Macbook for a couple weeks now (got it the day it came out) and I haven't really noticed it overheating until now. However, the heat is very localized. Its only in the upper-left quadrant of the keyboard (from "F" to the "esc" key). The right hand side of the macbook is very cool. Anyone know why it would get hot in that specific place? Is there something wrong?

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I notice mine gets hot over there when its plugged in and either charging from a dead battery or using the CPU a lot. Possibly a power converter?

3. urmom thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought, but why would it only start now?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My MacBook (not aluminum) gets hot on the side with the ports. Basically a 3 inch down from top left corner to the end of the ports, one inch in and back up. I think it's a power converter and also I have a 24" display attached so that might generate some heat.

5. timestoby macrumors 6502

can anyone tell me why my macbook is charged it just says 99%

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

no one likes a threadjacker.

OP, the CPU is directly under the area you describe. If you are watching flash videos, or using any CPU intensive app, you will feel heat emanating from there. If you feel the heat while the computer is idle, there could be a problem. Download iStat and check your temps.

[​IMG]

7. morphalex macrumors member

I am having the same problem on my new 2.4ghz macbook and I even tried just surfing the web and watching flash videos. Still gets hot there. I have istat on and the CPU runs at average 124F and while playing a game can go up to 145F. Although not hot compared to my dell it is uncomfortable having that area on my lap. I think the temperature is normal as the CPU, gpu, and ac power is there but just wondering if it was just me...apparently not.

Btw my fan is almost always at 2K rpm. I've never heard it spool up, I'll play an hour worth of dota tonight to see if it spins up

8. urmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. I don't use any CPU intensive apps (unless word and safari count). I have iStat, but what range should the temp fall in?

9. morphalex macrumors member

I am using safari and been browsing for an hour now with iStat showing my temperature at 106 degrees F. Not bad, I think it only goes to 124 if I put it on my lap, it is currently on my glass desk. I think the extra 20 degrees is due to my pants blocking the airflow from the vents, correct me if I'm wrong, but data shows I'm not haha

10. morphalex macrumors member

Well I played Warcraft 3 : DOTA for a good 2 hours, my CPU temp went to 160degrees F...then my DOTA shut down, I don't know if it's because of the temp or if it's the game...if anyone has any ideas, let me know...my fan speed was at 3600RPM

11. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

i've gotten up to 195f with no problems. 165 should be ok

12. urmom thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm at 148 right not after using it for almost 4 straight hours in class.

Normal?

13. urmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Now its at 160, even though it had a two hour break and has only been on for an hour. wtf? it hasn't been getting this hot until yesterday. should i take it in to be looked at?

Also, what temp are we talking about here? I'm using istat, "cpu a."

14. urmom thread starter macrumors newbie

I just downloaded this Fan Control and its telling me that the right fan is not working (only at -1 RMPs while the left fan is at 3000 RPMs).

Should I take it in?

15. rd261 macrumors regular

The macbook only has one fan, so your computer is good. As far as the temperature goes, check activity monitor and see if there's any application using your CPU. I do not see anything wrong with your computer, macbooks are known to get quite hot when doing CPU intensive tasks such as watching movies on youtube or encoding music or videos. However, if you your CPU is idle and the temperatures are that high, then you may want to take it to an apple store and get it checked.

16. urmom thread starter macrumors newbie

I just made an appointment. I'm not doing anything besides using Safari and iChat.

I just turned it on, so its cool, but the fans are running at 2200 rpms. wtf? Why are they working so hard when they don't have to (yet).