New Macbook giving me horrible battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sn00pie, Sep 16, 2008.

1. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Purchased roughly 2-3 weeks ago. According to CocunotBattery i've had 9 cycles, and current battery capacity is 5029 mAh, original capacity = 5020 mAh. Right now its at 80% (4052 mAh) and it's telling me I have 2.04 hours of battery left.

Thats nowhere near the 4.5 hours I'm expected, and I've noticed its running way too hot. CPU A is running at 66 and the Airport Card is at 69, and its been idle for 20 minutes.. btw I bought 3 year AppleCare but I haven't registered it yet...

My brightness is on 20-30%, bluetooth off, wifi on.

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Funny you should say that. I was just going to post to say how my battery life seems to have shot up after the 10.5.5 update.

After the update I turned on my Mac and realised I had 6 hours battery life!

If you turn Airport off you'll get the 4 hours promised. Changing the brightness from full to ~20% doesn't really make that much difference, you have to turn it all the way off.

My battery has a full charge capacity of 5168mAh after 63 cycles. It sounds like you battery might be duff or you need to recalibrate. Have you done this recently; fully charged your Mac, run the battery all the way down till it turns off. Leave it for 3 hours, then fully charge it again.

See here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Take it to an Apple Store and have them look at it, it doesn't sound normal.

Then again, the battery life is with, brightness at +1, processor at Reduced Speed, Wi-Fi Off, and Hard Drive set to sleep.

TEG

4. sn00pie thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I just updated to 10.5.5 now and it's saying 58% with 3:30 to go. But I doubt that is a realistic calculation. I'm actually timing it on my watch, so I will have a real number regarding the actual battery life.

I'm at 40% brightness, wifi on, BT is off, no usb devices connected, and the battery was "calibrated" yesterday when I used it from 100% all the way till it put it self to sleep, and I recharged it to 100% and now I'm doing this timing "test" :)

Edit: I don't understand what caused the CPU to get so high when I posted this thread. Maybe cause I had it sitting on my bed? Right now its on my desk and CPU A is at 41 (iStat Pro), compared to 66 at the time of posting this thread.

Good news is it's telling me 2:36 with 53% battery left. Maybe OS X was trying to confuse me into updating it?

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It is weird b/c each Macbook/battery does seem to act differently. I use 90% brightness(I don't see how you guys use 30-60%), wifi always on, and BT on(I have BT mouse. I get about 3-3 1/2 hours on my battery.

6. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

My last macbook also bought almost a month ago, is getting much better batt. life then my previous MB