New Macbook Great, Laggy Animations Bad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by majiklantrn, Feb 1, 2008.

1. majiklantrn macrumors member

So I pulled the trigger and got the black macbook. Question is, the animations seem very laggy. Even when going to the Widgets it studders. I have going to the power options and switched to use Best Performance but still having an issue. This is with and without the power plugged in. I have also reloaded the Machine with minimal install.

Any suggestions?

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

If its a new machine and you've just put a lot of documents on to it, Spotlight may be busy indexing the machine. You can tell its busy indexing if the little magnifying glass in the right top corner has a little dot inside the "lens." If it does, that could easily explain jumpy graphics.

Check to see if something else is running in the background, sucking up processor time. Run Activity Viewer (or 'top' from the terminal) and see what, if anything, is using the most processor cycles.

However, the MacBook (and I have a new Black one as well) isn't exactly a graphics powerhouse, and Apple's eye-candy makes pretty serious use of OpenGL (and thus the graphics subsystem). It'll never be quite as butter smooth as a similar machine with discrete graphics.

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

My wife has the Black Macbook with the GMA950 or whatever with Tiger and it runs very smooth. I would think for a new MB with the X3100 running Leopard wouldn't have an issue with just some basic minimizing. Although I have read that the current drivers for the x3100 suck.

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

It's just drivers.
    The drivers for the x3100 are absolute crap.

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Minimizing with the genie effect doesn't stutter noticeably here (X3100). But I suppose 10.5.2 might bring an improvement.

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

There is also a Video Driver Package that will be separate from 10.5.2. May or may not help the x3100 driver issue.