New MacBook Hard Drive Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thewhiterabbit9, Feb 18, 2009.

1. thewhiterabbit9 macrumors newbie

I am happy to say that I love my new MacBook I bought a couple weeks ago, but since I bought the white entry level for my first Mac, I have been trying to find some kind of useful info on what internal hard drives will be compatible with it. I only have the 120 GB model but I want to expand to a 500 GB or 320 if I can't get a 500 that will fit.

Is there anyone out there can recommend a compatible drive? I found one at micro center (link below) but am not sure it will fit. I don't mind paying this for the drive, I just am not familiar if it will cause issues with the power, make more noise, etc. Could someone help me with suggestions?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0303453

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Any 2.5" SATA hard drive should work fine in the MacBook. The only laptop you'd have to worry about getting a hard drive for is a MacBook Air.

3. Corvillus macrumors member

If it's in the budget, get the 7200.4 (500GB). I've got mine, and I'm happy with it, can't even tell the difference between it and the stock drive in terms of heat or noise / vibration. Power usage is also pretty good too.

That said, it is expensive, and if you don't need the speed of a 7200RPM drive, or don't need 500GB, there are better priced drives out there in terms of dollars per gigabyte.

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I don't have any experience with any of these drives but they're all 500 GB's and will fit in your MacBook with no problems. Each of the drives have reviews from other buyers if you're interested in checking them out.

5. thewhiterabbit9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for the quick help everyone, really appreciate it!

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Hitachi 7k320 at Newegg 59.98 after $20 MIR with roughly $6 shipping.

Hitachi 5k320 at Newegg 64.99 after $10 MIR with free shipping.

Hitachi 5k320 at OWC 57.99 after $10 MIR with $4.99 shipping

Seems to me the prices are a little odd but they are the two cheapest 320GB drives by far. If you want the faster drive go with the top one. If you want a slightly cooler, more quiet drive, go with the one from Newegg/OWC whichever place you like better.

Keep in mind that at Newegg you can get 2% cash back.