New Macbook Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tr1x, May 9, 2010.

1. Tr1x macrumors newbie

Hi all !

I've recently bought a new macbook specifically for being on the road DJ'ing with.

I have over the years had large external drives to carry around all of my music but i'm getting increasingly annoyed with having to carry around an external drive with me.

I'm looking to switch from using a 750gb external and have everything on an internal hard drive which means upgrading the mac's standard 250gb to something substantial.

I'd ideally like to upgrade it to a 1tb / 750gb drive to store all of the music I have but i'm a little lost with drives that will fit the macbook's bay.

Can anyone shed some light on the dimensions of the drive I should be looking at and offer any suggestions of good 1tb / 750gb drives?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

All unibody MacBook (Pros) can take up to 12.5mm tall HDs so WD's 1TB will fit.

3. Tr1x thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

Do you have any experience of the WD drives? Can you recommend them over a seagate / other brand?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, Wester Digital is the only brand along with Toshiba (ain't so good) that makes +500GB 2.5" drives. I have a lot experience with WDs and they are all great, I always prefer WD if possible

5. lyons238 macrumors 6502

i like my seagate but if you must go with a 1tb the wd will be good. you might have to install hdapm if you experience clicking though. i have a thread in this forum with the instructions for installing hdapm. its called "for anyone who has or is going to upgrade their hd"

edit: also if you make music like me i recommend 7200 rpm drives. helps out a bunch. because even if you have a fast processor and no 7200rpm drive the system will be bottlenecked at the hd. also recommend 4gb of ram to go along with the hd upgrade.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Are you sure about this? I just looked at the 13" MBP teardown on ifixit and there doesn't look like there's too much room for a 12.5mm drive.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD10TPVT/

Many people have upgraded to 1TB without issues, 3mm is so small difference, you can't see it from teardowns