new macbook hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dingdong, Oct 18, 2007.

1. dingdong macrumors regular

dingdong

i was thinking if i should wait until Leopard comes out to to install my new 250gb hard drive (Western Digital Scorpio) or to install it straight away and test out the drive first.

i still have my 120gb toshiba hard drive that came with the macbook which is running relativity alright but sometimes feel that the harddrive is struggling with occasional pauses (can hear it) etc. i'd probably sell it if i do go ahead and install my new hard disk.

any suggestions? should i wait or should i just go for it and install it?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Go ahead and install it. Introducing the fewest variables possible will make it easier to fix if something goes wrong.

3. dingdong thread starter macrumors regular

dingdong

but it'll kind of be a bum to do a clean install of Leopard with all my backup when it comes out i reckon.

still deciding...

4. WhiteNoiseMaker macrumors regular

WhiteNoiseMaker

I'm doing the exact same thing replacing my 80GB internal with the WD Scorpio 250GB drive, which I've got here ready waiting for Leopard. I'm only going to install it once I get Leopard. I can't see the point of installing Tiger on it now for the sake of waiting 1 week.

I'll have nice clean install of Leopard on my new drive next weekend. I'll keep my Tiger install on the 80GB drive in an external enclosure, just in case Leopard has some teething problems.

5. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I've got a 250GB scorpio and external coming. I was going to clone my tiger disk to the scorpio and then upgrade it to Leopard. I'd rather have a fresh install but seems like a lot of hard work to reinstall all of the apps etc etc

How are you going about getting everything back on?

6. WhiteNoiseMaker macrumors regular

WhiteNoiseMaker

I'll plug in the 80GB as an external and copy over the files i need. As for programs like iLife 08, Adobe CS3 etc i've got the discs to install from!

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yup same here, just got my 250GB Scorpio. While a Clean install would be nice, I'd rather just upgrade when I get Leopard.