new macbook HD, best way to import files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JosephEsquivel, Jun 9, 2008.

1. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

after i install leopard on the new HD, whats the easiest way to get all my files back. I use time machien on an external HD, could i open TM, go to the mac HD and restore all? and would this keep all my email and settings and whatnot

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Even better, when you install leopard it asks if you have a Time Machine backup you want to use for restoring....

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The easiest thing to do is to insert the Leopard DVD and boot from it. After you select English, stop there. Then go to the Utilities Menu and select the restore option from a TM backup. HOWEVER, make sure your new hard disk is formated correctly. If it is a new disk it has probably been formatted for a PC (Master Boot partition map). You need to reformat it per the following:

GUID partition map for Intel
    Apple partition map for PPC

You can do this just prior to restoring from the TM backup by again going to the Utilities menu and selecting Disk Utility.

You don't want to just install Leopard on the HD because you will just be wasting your time. The restore function from a TM backup will overwrite everything on the disk.