new macbook in september means....?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bob2131, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

if a new macbook comes out in september, does this mean apple would stop
    putting current refurbished macbooks on the site?

would this mean current refurbished macbook prices would drop??

would they just stop selling brand new current macbooks?
    or would they drop the price of current macbooks yet continue
    to sell them for some months?

i mean, whats happened in the past, when a new model has come out...whats happened to the older model, has the older model still been showing on refurb lists? has older model dropped in price leading up to the new model, or dropped in price AFTER the new model comes out?

sorry, do i ask alot of questions?

cheers

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Means current gen will go into the refurb store and we have no idea what Apple will do about prices.

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

current generation will go into the refurb store?........even tho they are brand new macbooks??

i thought refurb were fixed up or returned products..........

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Your definition of refurbs are correct. However, Apple will still receive previous generation macbooks as returns (especially ones bought within 14 days of the new ones).

So yes, those will end up in the refurb store.

The general rule of thumb for apple (in regards to macs at least) are the prices rarely drop. When they do, it's a big deal.

5. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

They will go to either the refurb store (just kind of the general discount area, even if they didn't require repair, since some people exchange them within 14 days due to the updates) or they will just be pushed out to all the resellers like BestBuy/CompUSA, etc, etc.

They issued a release a while ago instructing those resellers to stock up on units. And Apple is usually quite good with timing these things. They'll kill production a few weeks before the updates so that by the time the updates roll around there aren't a mountain of old units laying around like you seem to think there'll be.

It'll likely be a combination of both shuffling them to the refurb store and to the resellers. I remember seeing quite frequently that even 2 weeks after an update, local resellers (not Apple Stores) still had the old units for sale. And most of them even for the original price.

They act like the new units aren't out yet, even if you say "how come this isn't marked down, I can go get the new one for the same price".

6. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmm

sounds like the refurbished prices im seeing NOW...........will be the same prices leading up to upadate, and even after the new one comes out.

say if a refurb macbook is £850 NOW..........reckon similar spec'd refurb one would drop in price leading up to update, or when the new ones out??

i mean do you think i should jsut buy NOW when one becomes avaailable, or i should hold out and wait till end of september or even until the new one comes out.....................

thanks people

so it sounds like that the current macbooks will be showing up in the refurb section, even in the weeks AFTER the new macbook comes out.....right?

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

As the refurbs get one generation older, they usually are cheaper in the refurb store.

So the now two generation old macbook will get cheaper, the one generation old macbook gets cheaper, and the current gen macbook takes the price of the old current gen.

8. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i get it........so we can expect to see currnet macbooks showing in the refurbsished sections for many many months to come?

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I suppose it depends, it's all as long as stocks last. I do think the demand for 'em would be quite high, if they hit the refurb stores soon.

10. iOrlando macrumors 68000

Its all supply and demand. Apple will not put brand "new" used macbooks on sale for refurb for way low prices..they arn't refurbished...they are "new" yet "old." haha anyways..dont expect to see a currently "new" macbook in the refurb store 2 weeks after the "new" macbooks come out for $100s cheaper.
    Im confused now

11. mienime2488 macrumors newbie

would it be possible to... buy a macbook before the ipod touch promo ends... wait for the new macbooks, then exchange? :D

12. elpenguino macrumors member

I've been shopping around for a referb laptop or something off of eBay for a couple of months, and I've realized that from one generation to the next, Apple laptops hold their value very well. Previous generation laptops aren't being sold for much less than the current generation.

13. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

The price for all refurbs will drop when new macbooks are announced. However, the cheapest I've seen a refurbed mac book in the states for is $750 which was the original white book 1.83 with 1/2G RAM. The next lowest was $800 for a white 2.0 with 1 G RAM.

You won't see huge decreases when they do come out. Example, when the new IMACs came out, the cheapest refurbed dropped from $999 to $949.

14. belunos macrumors member

I'm pretty sure the clearance section is for past gen equipment. Refurb means the item was returned or repaired, and usually sell for less than clearance items

15. Nieval macrumors 6502

Assuming that the next macbook does take an aluminum casing and Apple doesn't offer a black one, will current generation blackbook prices go up?

16. Rtb1 macrumors member

Rtb1

previous generation products are in the clearance section. Go there and look at prev gen iMacs to get an idea of the discount you might get.

17. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Apple will likely still have refurbs for quite awhile and all existing new inventory
    from them and resellers will likely drop $100-150 just like that. Maybe more
    this time since its a major revision.

18. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I believe it's called the Apple refurb/clearance store. Don't expect any price hikes on these notebooks, if anything we will see a price drop. :)