New Macbook incoming(noob)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stryk3, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Stryk3 macrumors newbie

New MacBook arrives tomorrow. Bought a Mac in 1984 but been a Pc user since. I will read the manual, check tutorials, but wouldn’t mind the blessings of some veterans in regard to first day/set up do’s and dont’s
    Thanks guys, I am really looking forward to it!

2. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Awesome! Everything looks good, except there no manuals, like it was 1984, anymore :p

3. csurfr macrumors 68000

Here’s a tip: FileVault encryption can wreak havoc with High Sierra updates, so either don’t turn it on during setup, or wait for it to be done encrypting your drive before you update to 10.13.4. Otherwise you might find yourself re-installing everything from scratch.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Everybody's got a different opinion on that. I recommend not following any of the maintenance and "anti-virus" advice, since most of it does nothing at best. Look around and find tips and tricks and use what fits your workflow though - never force onto yourself a workflow that isn't your own, because it's recommended by others though. That just leads to frustrations. You have tools available, but your way of using them is your choice.

If you have any issues or need specific advice, you're always welcome to contact me directly. PM me at any time, I know most everything there is to know about macOS systems and *nix systems as a whole. And when I don't know, I'm quite good at finding the answers :).
    PS. Of course that's hyperbole, as there's so much to know you couldn't ever get close to knowing it all, but I know a fair deal ;)

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    This may sound nit-picky, but.....right from the get-go, it really is helpful to have the terminology right. So, is your new machine a MacBook or a MacBook Pro? They are two different machines. Are you talking about a 2017 12" MacBook or are you talking about a 2017 13" or 15" MacBook Pro? A MacBook Pro with or without the Touch Bar? It's not unusual for newbies to not notice the differences when jumping onto an online forum. Once you've provided that information people here will be really more informed and subsequently equipped to actually help you if and when you need help.....

6. Stryk3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great point! It’s a new 2017 MacBook Pro 13” no touchbar. Thanks for all the information, oversight, and assistance offered!

7. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Hate to say it, but... If you don't need the machine right now, and if you didn't get a killer deal on it, I would have waited for the MacBook Pro updates, which are likely coming sooner rather than later.

Why? Cuz the 2018 CPU updates are likely going to be one of the biggest updates in a very long time.

It's almost guaranteed the higher end models will get big upgrades. There is no guarantee that the non-Touch Bar models would get great upgrades, but there is a decent chance they will too.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...h-could-have-intels-new-six-core-i9-processor

8. leman macrumors G3

Don’ts: do not install any antiviruses, cleaners, “optimization” apps or the like

Do’s: get an external drive or two and set up Time Machine.

9. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Do: Install an antivirus.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I would say give yourself a little time to get used to the Apple way of doing things, it’s slightly different but it does make sense.

There are endless tutorials and a lot of alternative software solutions so do your research.

An external hard drive for any files and pics etc you want to migrate across is very useful.

They. Are very easy to set up and get started so enjoy.

11. csurfr macrumors 68000

I’d love to know why you would recommend this.... the only thing that could affect the OP would be malware that he/she would have to install themselves (i.e. “your flash player is outdated, please update”). There hasn’t been a legitimate virus on the Mac since OS 9.

Antivirus software on the Mac is a complete waste of system resources, not to mention money.

12. leman macrumors G3

And it also makes the software less secure since surprisingly many antivirus suites can be exploited...

13. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Shared files with Windows users, or even your own Windows machines. Macs can receive and re-transmit Windows viruses.

Furthermore, Macs are often multi-user machines. Not everyone is as vigilant about these things as everyone here claims to be.

14. csurfr macrumors 68000

Um... not sure where you’re going with this, but virus’ written for Windows cannot infect macOS, and I think you’re grasping at straws there with the “re-transmit to other windows users”.

As to your second part of “being vigilant”: antivirus software is not the same thing as malware bytes or another malware removal tool (another bloatware product).

15. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

For example, if you get a document from a Windows user that is infected, you can receive it and edit it just fine and your Mac won’t get infected. However, if you then send that file back to a Windows user, you’ve just sent them an infected file.

The goal here is not to be Typhoid Mary.

16. csurfr macrumors 68000

You’re right, I have a CS degree from one of the best schools in the country, and I have no idea what I’m talking about.

The goal is not to be paranoid, and slow my machine down with useless software. In over 25 years I haven’t known a single Mac user that has transmitted a virus to a windows user. You’re suggesting that one runs antivirus software on their Mac because Windows has problems with viruses. That falls on Windows users, and with Defender built in to Windows 10 even they have little to worry about.

17. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

If you haven’t seen this happen in 25 years then perhaps you aren’t looking hard enough. It is not exactly a rare occurrence, at least if you do collaborative work. But a user wouldn’t know that if s/he is not scanning for them.

Like I said, don’t be Typhoid Mary.

18. csurfr macrumors 68000

Well, feel free to spend your money on what is not needed, but don’t tell others to do the same. I’m going to leave this alone now. Good day!

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I have seen it happen where a Mac user unknowingly infects a windows machine, Mac antivirus is mostly free and it uses practically no resources on a modern computer. I have had avast free on my macs since 2010 with no noticeable impact on performance, it’s never cost me a penny and it’s done a good job with protecting me from malware and others from viruses, why would I not use it??

20. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

For example, Sophos antivirus software on the Mac is free for home users, for up to 3 machines.

Have a good day.

21. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Antivirus on a Mac prevent sharing infected files with Windows machines. Useful only if you have shared/network drives. Otherwise, it's a complete waste of resources. Your windows friends can protect themselves.

22. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I personally don't use it anymore, and only would install it (and subsequently remove it) in the unlikely situation that I did have a problem, however, I'd like to add that Sophus is the only anti-virus software for macOS that I actually trust at all. I don't think there's any real value to it unless you're either seeing issues, or do very shady things on your computer. macOS' built-in XProtect does just fine, and you'll never even see it

23. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

AFAIK, XProtect only screens for a very limited number of viruses, and it only works for web downloaded files. Thus in the scenario where somebody hands you a USB stick with an infected Excel file, by design XProtect does absolutely nothing.

24. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

It doesn't only scan downloads. It also scans anything you run/open.
    However, you're right that it is a relatively limited set of things it screens for. I'd say it's enough for the majority of people though. If you're not a high priority target for people to give infected Excel files to, and you don't do stupid stuff, like downloading that program a rich prince told you to, so he could transfer all his money to you, you won't need much more than that, and likely not even that to begin with.