New MacBook is apparently stuck in self-destruct mode.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brettka7, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Brettka7, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

Brettka7 macrumors regular

I bought a mid-2012 13" MBP base. Apparently a lot of you think these aren't expensive computers, but a $1,200 notebook is an expensive computer.

First, the hinge started popping and squealing when opening and closing. Of course, being bought in October 2012, The entire display was replaced under warranty.

Second, one of the speakers started buzzing like it's blown at any volume. I've barely used these speakers for more than watching The Walking Dead. Still haven't had that repaired.

Third, one of the metal tabs that hold the return button in place came bent after the display was replaced, causing a loud rattle (sounded like a screw had fallen out) every time I clicked or typed. Fixed that myself, but it shouldn't have been bent by the person that repaired the computer.

Now, my SuperDrive won't suck in any disk until it is a few centimeters from all the way inside the computer, then it grinds and spits it back out. None of the recommended resets work. I will be taking it in on Wednesday next week. Didn't know so many of you guys hate the SuperDrive until I started researching about it's problems.

I love how solid it feels, LOVE OS X, the keyboard and trackpad are the nicest in the business, love the beauty... but my faith in this computer's reliability is totally gone. I do have AppleCare, but I don't want to keep having to use it, especially this many times 2.5 months into ownership! One of these issues during the first few months of it's life is fine, all parts are not equal and if one has to be replaced, so be it. 3 parts failed/presumably failing and one damaged by an Apple tech is not ok though! I really do hope the rest of the computer lasts at least until the one-year mark, but like I said, my faith in this computer's reliability is gone.

Edit: 1/21/13

The SuperDrive was replaced, works great now. Problem is, DISPLAY NUMBER TWO is flickering a bit over a month after being replaced. The AppleCare department is replacing my computer tomorrow, or I'm going to the Better Business Bureau. I need a computer to last me one entire school semester, please!

2. Pinkie Pie macrumors regular

Wow, that sucks. I hope they accept that it's time to give you a new laptop and I hope you get a perfect one that will last you a long time!

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

usually they say 3 repairs on the same part before they replace the system. however the local people do have some leeway.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Wow, have u been feeding it bad power and cheap 99 cents Apps? :D

That's definitely NOT NORMAL.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you are going for your next repair, call Apple and tell them this is your third time.
    You have to use it for work and you cant wait.
    They can possibly set you up at the nearest Apple Store and get you a brand new one.

6. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

The SuperDrive was replaced, works great now. Problem is, DISPLAY NUMBER TWO is flickering a bit over a month after being replaced. The AppleCare department is replacing my computer tomorrow, or I'm going to the Better Business Bureau. I need a computer to last me one entire school semester, please!

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Not much we can do, but Im pretty sure they will replace it.
    I got my old 2010 MacBook Pro replaced for free after 3 repairs.
    As I said in the previous post, tell them you are sick and tired of all the repairs and you
    need the computer now so you cant wait for the repair.

Im confident that they will hook you up with a brand new one.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Do yourself a favour - don't go in with the "You're replacing this computer or I'm going to the BBB" self-entitled attitude. It will get you nowhere.

Instead, go in with the "look, I'm not being funny, but so far this computer has had 2 screens, a new ODD, and keyboard issues in the space of 3 months. I need a reliable computer for school - is there anything you could do to help me out?" attitude.

9. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

If that doesn't work then raise the roof. When I had 3 motherboards replaced on my old Dell XPS, I put my story on the Dell Facebook page, and low and behold, a Rep contacted me and arranged a replacement.

10. Brettka7 thread starter macrumors regular

This worked for me when I was arguing with Verizon Wireless too.

I was very nice to the genius today, the MagSafe was acting up but the display and airport were both working normally while he was using it. It's at the apple store being diagnosed right now. I simply told him that I have no faith in the computer any more and told him straight up, I'll be looking to get a replacement computer one way or another. It's not worth arguing with a genius, they don't have a whole lotta say outside of iPods and iPhones.