New Macbook is coming but when?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by celo48, Mar 27, 2011.

1. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Anybody has any idea? I also heard that they may remove the SuperDrive, true?

I am wanting to buy one for my niece and do not want to buy now and next month she has an older model.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Usually MacBook has been updated about a month after MBPs but there is no guarantee that it will be the case now. It is due for an update though.

Just a rumor. Since MBPs kept the ODD, it is doubtful that Apple would remove it from the MacBook.

3. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess latest news is an indication of no new Macbook in the near future.

4. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

How old is your niece? What is her needs?

If she is below 10, an iPad would be way better than a laptop. Due to higher portability and kids like touch screens.
    If she is above 10, you should ask whether she would prefer an iPad or laptop and get what she wants.
    If she is a Junior in high school or college student, a Macbook Air would be the perfect gift due to portability. If she needs Microsoft Word or iWork, you can get them from the App Store. If she needs Windows 7, check out this link.

5. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My other niece has a white Macbook so, she wants the same :) She is 11.

6. gorcman macrumors member

maybe they're planning on discontinuing it?

the MBA does seem to fill to be the "go to" entry level laptop for Apple now. I honestly dont see many white macbook owners around my area (SF bay area).

7. kimos@mac.com macrumors newbie

Long in the Mac tooth

Has anyone else seen the list of Macs that are due for an update? The buyers guide has all sorts of time and average times but the fact is if you want new tech then you must buy what Apple wants to direct to the market. It gets so much more profitable to make last years models last longer.
    The MacBook is just that elastic product like the mini too. Get a pro model and they update faster. Every year a new iPhone and updates to OS. This means that the Mac book could not be renewed until summer. This does slow down cash flow from AppleCare and more purchases at buying time. It is impossible to get an iPad 2 and now it is going international and to Radio Shack to boot. So this means we wait for the new products on the lighter side.