New macbook keeps crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by leonnk, Apr 8, 2009.

1. leonnk macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I've just got a new macbook and it has now crashed about 4 times since I've started using it around a month ago.

It crashed twice on the second day of using it, I had done an apple update and only installed Firefox. The first time it crashed was when I tried to shutdown, all the icons and the dock left the screen, but the MacBook didnt fully shutdown so I had to hold down the power button to force it. The second time I was just using Firefox and the screen frooze.

The other times my MacBook has simply crashed during me using either Firefox or Word. On once occasion plug in a usb keyboard, which worked and I was able to reboot. The remaining two times it has simply crashed with no movement on the screen.

I called AppleCare after the 3rd crash and they got me to clear the cache, but it has just crashed again so I'm not sure what to do now. Take it to the Apple Store genious bar? What are they likely to do? Should they repair/replace it there? Or will they just change a few settings and hope it doenst happen again?

Thanks

2. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

your best bet is to take it to the apple store, it sounds like a pretty serious issue with the MB that apple will need to fix or replace

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

How long have you had the MacBook? If it's been less than 14 days, just ask for a replacement. If it's been more than 14 days, before you send it off and let the Genius' mingle with it, two things I recommend:

1. Run Apple Hardware Test (AHT) by pressing and holding down the "D" key on boot. You will eventually get to a blue screen, run the extended test (should take approx. 30 min.)

2. Perform an Erase and Install. Clear the HDD and start new.

If both don't work than I would consider taking it to see a Genius or calling up AppleCare to have it mailed in for repair.