Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thei3ug

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
I just took delivery of a 16 Friday. first six hours I had three KP on .4. I'm within the return window. Do I return or is this definitively a software issue? I can live without power nap, but I need this for work.

Callum MacDonald

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
I just took delivery of a 16 Friday. first six hours I had three KP on .4. I'm within the return window. Do I return or is this definitively a software issue? I can live without power nap, but I need this for work.

Try turning off power nap and follow the Apple instructions for reseting the SMC. I got my 16" MacBook on Monday and experienced several days of crashes before I disabled Power Nap and reset the SMC and I've had 2 days now of this laptop now behaving as I expected it to..quiet fans and no reboots.

tony4d

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I've had this issue since I took delivery in April. I since learned that if I disabled Power Nap under "System Preferences -> Energy Saver" (for battery and powered) the problem went away.

Good news, HOPEFULLY apple fixed this - they just released macOS Catalina 10.15.5 which includes this bug fix:

Fixes a stability issue with uploading and downloading media files from iCloud Photo Library while your Mac is asleep

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My 16" MBP hadn't had a kernel panic for a week now with PowerNap enabled. I had it disabled and then re-enabled and I reset the SMC. The 10.15.5 update should have taken care of this issue anyway.

tony4d

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
My 16" MBP hadn't had a kernel panic for a week now with PowerNap enabled. I had it disabled and then re-enabled and I reset the SMC. The 10.15.5 update should have taken care of this issue anyway.
Did you have a kernel panic while in sleep mode with power nap enabled on 10.15.5?

tony4d

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Nice. I updated to 10.15.5 last night, closed my MacBook and let it sleep all night. This morning no problems. So far so good, we'll see ...

Reactions: simonmet

vahram_sf

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
My update
- Turned off power nap
- reset SMC
- 0 kernel panic since

My laptop is less than a week old. My new disappointment is the fan and heat. Running safari and a video call and people thought I was in an airplane.
Thinking of returning this and getting the 13" with 32 ram and an iPad pro. Yay or Nay??

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I have windows 10 running on my VMware on the mbp 16" and fans go crazy. Anyone know why? I haven't updated to 10.15.5 yet. Should I change the dedicated graphics to the gpu but not sure how to do on VMware. the temps reach 95+ for no reason and goes back down.

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
My update
- Turned off power nap
- reset SMC
- 0 kernel panic since

My laptop is less than a week old. My new disappointment is the fan and heat. Running safari and a video call and people thought I was in an airplane.
Thinking of returning this and getting the 13" with 32 ram and an iPad pro. Yay or Nay??

That's a thread of its own - but tbh the combo 13" + iPad Pro makes much less sense to me than 16" + iPad Pro. And what do you need all that RAM for? Unless you do high-res video editing for a living, there's really no point in paying extra. I'm a photographer and really don't need 32gb or RAM.

Reactions: vahram_sf

mechazawa42

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
Just had the kernel panic happen. My MacBook Pro 16 was not waking up from sleep and instead just made a short and loud 'woosh' coming from the fans. And that was with 10.15.5 and power nap deactivated... really annoying.

woogington

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
Installed 10.15.5 this morning and have since had a few more crashes, which isn't great. I think the report it spits out is different now, it starts:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800a49169c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x48f3.

Have tried turning power nap back on and resetting the SMC again, not helping. Will try turning power nap off again, see if that helps.

All very frustrating!

mechazawa42

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
Installed 10.15.5 this morning and have since had a few more crashes, which isn't great.

I noticed the same. On 10.15.4 it 'only' crashed a few times a week. Now I get several crashes throughout the day. I hope they'll fix it soon. It's so damn frustrating...

vahram_sf

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
I noticed the same. On 10.15.4 it 'only' crashed a few times a week. Now I get several crashes throughout the day. I hope they'll fix it soon. It's so damn frustrating...

I'm still on 10.15.4 - should I not update? I disabled power and reset SMC. It's been a week with no panics

mechazawa42

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
Hey man, just anecdotally speaking, updating to 10.15.5 made my machine worse ? but maybe I just had bad luck. If your machine runs fine or 'acceptable' at best, I would possibly just leave it at that and wait for other people's experiences or a fix from Apple (whenever that would happen).

Reactions: vahram_sf

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
No kernel panics on 10.15.5 with power nap disabled. From what I’ve read now, there’s no point in even trying to enable it.

woogington

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
My issues now seem to be exclusively to do with sleeping while plugged into an external monitor (they weren't previously).

Have:
  • updated to 10.15.5
  • reset SMC
  • tried with and without power-nap enabled
  • done a reinstall of the OSX
It's consistent, kernel panics 100% of the time when plugged into external monitor (tried with USB-C to HDMI and Displayport), sleeps and wakes absolutely fine otherwise. I timed it yesterday and hear the whoosh that signals the kernel panic approximately 4 mins after sleeping but I think it has taken longer on occasion.

Anyone having any luck plugged into an external monitor?

mechazawa42

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
My issues now seem to be exclusively to do with sleeping while plugged into an external monitor (they weren't previously).

Have:
  • updated to 10.15.5
  • reset SMC
It's consistent, kernel panics 100% of the time when plugged into external monitor (tried with USB-C to HDMI and Displayport), sleeps and wakes absolutely fine otherwise. I timed it yesterday and hear the whoosh that signals the kernel panic approximately 4 mins after sleeping but I think it has taken longer on occasion.

I have made the same experience. I'm still not sure if the issue occurs only in clamshell mode or also when the MacBook is open. My external monitor is connected to an HDMI port on a USB-C dock. So no luck on my side ?

vahram_sf

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
So I did the mistake and updated to 10.15.5
Brand new Mac running on 10.15.4 - i reset the SMC and disabled power nap and it had no issue.
I've had 2 kernel panics in a day after updating to 10.15.5 Shouldn't have updated lol

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
I called a friend who works for Apple about this, a sensor engineer.
he got me in touch with a executive rep, and was assured that If the 2020 mbp 16 fixes this, they will swap it out for me with Applecare.

no idea if it’s widespread, but grab that AppleCare asap.

Reactions: Falcon80

majapahit

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
I've experienced several kernel panics (MBP16 i9) in the last 2 days after updating to 10.15.5 and the supplemental update. I've never experienced it while on 10.15.4 and below...
In my case, I don't use external monitor, but while editing in FCPX.... it's really frustating.

pingchp

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2014

Have:
  • updated to 10.15.5
  • reset SMC

No luck. When external monitor is off the kernel panic kicks it.

majapahit

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
I just have 2 kernel panics within an hour and then another one after 2 hours. These kernel panics drive me mad...
I have turned power nap off, automatic graphics switching off and reset SMC... none of those work....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.