New macbook keyboard problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T-Mac, Nov 18, 2007.

1. T-Mac macrumors member

My new macbook was delivered Friday (Amazon). This is my first Mac. I like the machine and OS X, but I have a problem with my keyboard. The "B" key requires a much harder press to register than the other keys. This can be very frustrating when typing quickly and then realizing your b's are missing!

What should I do?

A) Call Amazon
    B) Call Apple
    C) Go to local Apple store
    D) Learn to type my B's harder :(

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It's like this with my caps-lock button unfortunately.

3. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Lift the key off and make sure there's no obstruction.

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't do that without talking to applecare first. It's less than a week old, so I would just go to an Apple store and ask a genius to re-seat the key to see if it makes a difference (if you live close enough to one).

6. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

So is it necessary to log a case with Apple support over the telephone, or just simply show up at my local Apple store? I just want to do whatever gives me the best chance of a positive resolution.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

On my previous macbook this was an issue with the QAZWSXCDE keys. Basically the left side of the keyboard. I just learned to type harder on that side. You can call apple care and see what they can do about it. But I would rack this up with the "personality" of your particular machine.

8. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

I am torn between taking it to Apple or learning to adjust to it. Should one expect a $1,300 machine to be perfect? I've read several posts from other users with keys that require a harder touch. If I had purchased a $700 Dell, I would also have expected it to not have this problem.

9. sportsnut macrumors regular

Choice A: call apple 800# and express your opinion. If you have an Apple store near it could be an easy swap with an appointment. If not maybe Apple would just send a box for replacement.

Choice B: pretend that if you had bought a Dell at any price the keyboard would be perfect.

Choice C: adjust to it and think you will ever enjoy your $1300 purchase while dealing with a bad keyboard.:(

Choice D: ????? Only you know what that is.

10. tuc macrumors 6502

Don't underestimate the importance of input devices. I had a Powerbook 2400c (which cost way more than $1300) that had a gimpy trackpad button. It worked only about 80% of the time, or 95% if pressed insanely heavily. This was enough to ruin the user experience. Think how often you click the mouse, and how you would change your behavior if after every click you had to visually verify that it actually clicked.

In retrospect, I should have tried harder to have the problem fixed. (I tried a couple of times but was rebuffed.) I ended up carrying around an external ADB trackpad whose button I could use instead, but that was a pain. I ended up retiring the machine sooner than it should have been.

the moral: Do what you need to do to have your keyboard working to your satisfaction.

11. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

I agree tuc. What seems like a minor thing, is just enough to ruin the user experience. If not for this one issue I would be extremely happy to have finally made the switch. It's worth it to try and get it fixed or replaced. I have an appointment at the local Apple store this evening. I'll post the outcome later.

12. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

You wouldn't settle for a new car that required you to apply more force to turn left, would you? I'm making the assumption that you're not nitpicking a small problem, and if you're repeatedly "missing" B's from your documents it certainly isn't just your imagination.

You just bought it. There is a implied merchantability of your purchase for whatever price, be it a $700 Dell or $1300 Apple or $10 Fischer Price toy.

If they're going to hassle you about it, let them know that you expect a refund/exchange, even if you have to go through small claims court to get it. However, my experience has been if you're nice about it, make reasonable claims and demands and don't get irate they will strive to retain you as a customer; that goes for Apple as well as Amazon.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

13. T-Mac thread starter macrumors member

Good news! I took the Macbook to my local Apple store last night and the "genius" agreed that there was definitely a problem with the "B" key. He wanted to give me a new Macbook but had to check with someone since I bought from Amazon. They were able to take mine back and give me a brand new one in the box. (I was prepared and had my old box with all its contents.)

The new Macbook seems to be great as I have carefully tested each key. My first experience with Apple support was very good. When I told them that this was my first Mac, they seemed very eager to make sure I was completely happy.

Also, they were very surprised about the keyboard problem and indicated this issue was rare. I've seen several posts on here from users with the same problem and it makes me wonder if a bad batch of keyboards was used to build the new SR Macbooks. My first Macbook with the problem was a week 44, while the replacement is a week 43. Apparently, it's hit or miss. Anybody else with a similar problem should try to get a replacement.

14. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Thats great news. I too have had a item from Amazon than needed to be replaced (wrong packaging, not defective) and my local Apple store stood by their hardware, even when they didn't make the sale themselves.

Have fun on your new-new Mac!

15. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

awesome

my wife's macbook had a sliver of the casing fall off just below the track pad. they unfortunately didn't replace it (would have been nice with a new generation on the shelves) but they did replace the casing within a half hour and we were out of the store. only problem now is that the bottom of the computer is clean as a whistle and the upper part shows its age. kinda funny.