New MacBook Keyboard

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I have just bought the new keyboard from Apple and it's really nice to use. The shortcut keys are a welcome addition for itunes - anything that cuts down mouse use and longer shortcuts (i.e. using quicksilver) is a welcome feature.

I was wondering if anyone else thought that maybe the next revision of the MacBook will follow the iMac keyboard's example and changethe layout of the function keys?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I have my doubts about this. There just aren't very many keys left open on the MacBook for iTunes control.
I would map:

F1 - Untouched
F2 - Untouched
F3 - Exposé key
F4 - Dashboard Key
F5 - Num Lock
F6 - iTunes <<
F7 - iTunes >
F8 - iTunes >>
F9 - Mute
F10 - Volume Down
F11 - Volume Up

leaving F12 free...

You don't think that sounds plausible?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
It does seem plausible, but I don't really like the idea of not having a mute key. Maybe I'm against change.
I could have sworn I assigned mute to F9 :)

I would map:

F1 - Untouched
F2 - Untouched
F3 - Exposé key
F4 - Dashboard Key
F5 - Num Lock
F6 - iTunes <<
F7 - iTunes >
F8 - iTunes >>
F9 - Mute
F10 - Volume Down
F11 - Volume Up

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I think they should just push hot corners more and get rid of the Expose and Dashboard keys. :D
hmmm... hot corners are good - I use them, but can't be used all the time... can they!? (i.e. not certain situations/softwares)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
hmmm... hot corners are good - I use them, but can't be used all the time... can they!? (i.e. not certain situations/softwares)
There're a few misbehaving programs that don't play nicely with Exposé (Songbird is a good example). But then it doesn't matter how you get to Exposé. Other than that, I guess some fullscreen games and things might suppress hot corners. I can't say I've intentionally used the keyboard for Exposé after the first few months of my Mac ownership! :)