New MacBook (Late '08) - Shutdown Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mullany, Oct 20, 2008.

1. mullany macrumors newbie

Okay, I have a problem, I dunno if it has something to do with the MacBook itself, though it wouldn't surprise me, or whether it's something I've done.

I picked up a 2.0GHz model yesterday, and after a quick trial, I immediately popped off the back panel and replaced the stock HDD with a shiny new OCZ CoreV2 SSD and reinstalled the OS, Now; I used this SSD in an old MacBook and had no issues, so I'm wondering if maybe it's something to do with this new build of OSX or not.

Now, here be my problem, whenever I go to Apple > Shutdown the machine shutdowns down and then boots straight away! - It's almost as if I've clicked 'Restart' instead (which I haven't). This, coupled with a *slightly* wiggly battery cover and slopy function keys is doing my nut. I may swap the unit out, but I want to know that I'm not going to have the same random reboot on shutdown errors with another one, any ideas on what may be the cause of this?

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

You could try putting the HD back in and see if the problem's still there.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try it from a CD or other bootable drive as well, see if it's just a software thing (entirely possible, since the new MB's use a newer build of 10.5.5), and maybe need to do an Archive and Install using the disk that came with your new MB.

jW

4. mullany thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck

Well, I've tried everything! And now I'm at a loss, it blasted thing just won't turn off, at first I suspected a software fault but it's looking more and more like a hardware glitch.

D'you that an Apple store would take it back and upgrade me for the extra?