New Macbook Likely changes/upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MaxwellIreland, Oct 30, 2010.

1. MaxwellIreland macrumors member

Hi folks

Im looking to get a mac,as im currently using my ipod touch as my only computer.

Amazon uk are offering the current macbook at a nice price of £740.
    Id like to get 3 years out of this model.

Not sure if i should buy now or wait for the update,if the updates are not going to be that significant id be tempted to buy now.

What do you think?
    Current model seems to suit my needs well.
    Sorry for another buy now or wait thread.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Buy now if you need it now. And wait if you can wait.

We don't know what the next update will bring, but it won't happen before Q1/2011, maybe even later.
    The updated MB most likely will still use a C2D CPU, thus the current model is still okay and you can get more than three years out of it, depending on you usage and requirements, which you haven't mentioned yet.

I still use a 2007 C2D 2GHz iMac as my main machine, and besides wishing it would have faster and more RAM, it is quite a capable machine.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Im a mature student so mostly uni work,safari,iphoto,itunes, pages,dvd playback etc nothing seriously performance based.

4. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hmm
    Might be worth buying it and getting 2x2GB RAM sticks from amazon for £70 too. Works out cheaper than getting the standard MacBook. Im not sure how big any updates to the White MB would be

5. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Looked at the 4gb ram not sure if i need it,I guess more is always better in any case

6. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah, don't get it if you dont want it. I was just pointing out that you can get the MacBook and the RAM boost, cheaper than getting the standard MacBook from Apple. I think that's what im going to do. Thanks for bribing the deal to my attention!

7. Laco macrumors 6502

I've had a macbook for over 3 years now and it does everything i need. I noticed you are student, the student discounts in the uk are quite good if you qualify.

8. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

I can get the student discount but amazons price is slightly cheaper :)

Id definetly like to get a good life out of this one,im thinking a couple years down the line an ssd and ram upgrade should see it right for another while.

9. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

How reliable is Amazon for tech?
    I'm thinking about getting this MacBook on offer?
    What's their returns policy?
    Will it come with iLife 11, or is that just when bought direct from apple?

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The question is, will there be another MacBook. Haven't we just had that? Look at the wording:

mb.jpg

11. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Ture man,I think apple will faze out the current white macbook in shape for the new macbook air.

I love the new macbook air but have many reservations about its upgrade ability,I mean I could survive now with 64gb but could i two years down the line? I doubt it.

But I was impressed by the speed and silent operation.

12. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

I agree about the Air, it's such a beautiful machine having used it in the Apple store. But like you said, the only reservation that I have is the low 64GB memory.

13. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Hi Tom,I assume its apple warrantly so apple tech support? Most retailers honor manufacturers same warranty.
    I doubt itll come with the new ilife(maybe on disc),I also believe it doesnt come in the typical apple packaging too.

14. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that deal is really appetising, plus I can get the RAM for just more than the Student MacBook price. Having iLife 11 is a massive concern for me since I don't really dabble in that stuff.
    The only concern I have is about what happen if I had a problem, do I tell Apple or Amazon?
    Do Amazon get their macs from Apple directly?

15. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

With there frustration free packaging system and buying a large order of base models from apple Id imagen thats how they can offer the macbooks at that price,but my theroy is purely speculation.

If its a big concern Id give apple uk/amazon a ring to ask?

16. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think I might make the plunge and go for the RAM as well.
    Thanks for bringing the deal to my attention!

17. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Cool,If you contact amazon or apple about warranty,be sure to pass on the info.
    Im gonna stick with the base model of 2gb and update ram in the new year if I feel it necessary. Enjoy. Mines should be here wednesday.

18. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Cn you let me know of performance on the 2GB model? I might follow you in waiting a while before going fur the 4GB
    I think my usage is similar to what you're looking for: iTunes, pages, safari, YouTube etc

19. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

Will do,2gb of ddr3's gotta be better than my 1gb ddr of my old powerbook.

20. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

It'll be my first Mac, and I want it to last 3-5 years, so I need it to be technically sound

21. happle macrumors 6502a

2gb of ram works fine for browsing, itunes, pages, youtube, etc. i upgraded to 4gb of ram and you cant really notice a speed difference until you do something that requires more than 2gb of ram, which in my case browsing, music, pages, videos never do.

4gb of ram will help if you edit photos, make music, etc etc.

as well will a 7200rpm hd

22. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Will RAM increase the lifetime of the machine, I.e how long I can get stable usage out of it for?

23. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

It can do yes. Machines that are old can often get a new lease of life by users upping the Ram and adding an SSD as opposed to buying a whole new laptop.

EDIT: You might want to check on this but even though its only supposed to support 4GB ram i am sure that i have seen members on here saying that it can take up to 8GB like the 13" MBP.

24. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

I heard about it taking 8GB RAM also.
    I think I'll wait for the product refresh, and if the White MacBook gets discontinued I'll just get one from an online retailer as they try to push out stock, unless the Pro gets a price drop.

25. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member