New Macbook, low battery capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ucaggie, Jan 18, 2010.

1. ucaggie macrumors newbie

I have the new unibody white Macbook and have calibrated twice. I currently only have 9 cycle on my battery. My battery currently shows 92% current battery capacity at 5053 mAh and original capacity at 5450 mAh. What is wrong with my battery? Or is it Coconut Battery?

2. copykris Suspended

copykris

do you actually use the battery or do you run it off ac power most of the time?

make sure you let the electrons flow a bit

3. ucaggie thread starter macrumors newbie

I do let my battery run most of the time. It's rarely at full capacity.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. ucaggie thread starter macrumors newbie

So is my battery just one with slightly lower capacity than normal? I've read other posts where people with a few hundred cycles that still have 95% capacity and up!

6. krewelement394 macrumors regular

krewelement394

it's fine. my macbook only goes up to 98% 95% or 99% if i unplug the charger from my macbook then plug it back in after having 89% or somewhat battery life gone it'll fully charge up.

7. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

My Battery did the same thing - I think its part of the "breaking - in" process, I think the battery capacity was even showing 93% at one point when it was "fully charged". But now that I'm at over 100 cycles it seems to have stabilized and the capacity has gone back to 99% and 98% of the original battery charge. (These stats all using coconutBattery).

Just make sure you keep your battery well maintained by once a month letting it run completely flat and then letting it rest for 24hrs if you can (tough for me because my machine is in daily use) and then charging it fully again before turning on - this is a practice recommended by Apple: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html this page even gives you a reminder you can add into iCal.

Don't worry I'm sure your battery is fine.

8. ucaggie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Regardless of what CoconutBattery is showing, I'm still getting about 5 hours of battery time with iTunes, Safari, Adium, light web browsing using wifi, BT off, and 75% brightness. That sure beats almost any other laptop out there.

Also, would you recommend that I routinely fully drain the battery each time, then charge it up fully?