New macbook/macbook pros, what are you going to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caj, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. caj macrumors member

    caj

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Illinois, United States
    #1
    How many of you were excited for an awesome macbook update last week, were disappointed, but bought a santa rosa macbook anyway?

    How many of you were just as excited, but decided to wait until the macbook pro update in early next year?

    I was the latter, but now I'm thinking I should buy a macbook because that is really want/need and the new macbook may be to expensive or no that much cooler.

    advise. help. thanks, caj

    :apple:
     
  2. Oirectine macrumors regular

    Oirectine

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2003
    Location:
    Maryland
    #2
    I'm planning on buying a MBP the day they are updated in January. I already have my budget planned out, I'll have enough left over to max the RAM, buy a 7K200 hard drive, and Logic Studio. :D

    I'm getting a MBP over the MB because of the larger screen size, the beefier graphics capabilities and the Firewire 800 port.
     
  3. caj thread starter macrumors member

    caj

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Illinois, United States
    #3
    what are you hoping will be different about it? :D
     
  4. portuglish08 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    #4
    :apple:I was the first option, not totally happy with the update but still bought one. I had been wanting a mac for years, and finally had the money for months, but I was waiting for a revision. When it came out, I was a bit upset, but not totally. I had my hopes up for a few things, like LED, but I'm happy I bought my macbook because I absolutely LOVE it. Best computer I have ever owned. :apple:
     
  5. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

    MacHiavelli

    Joined:
    May 17, 2007
    Location:
    new york
    #5
    But will they be updated in Jan and what will they be updated to? :confused:
     
  6. caj thread starter macrumors member

    caj

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Illinois, United States
    #6
    what i really think is going to happen is...

    a much faster processor maybe even 2.8, black and aluminum like the the new imacs, and upto 8 gb of RAM... maybe
     
  7. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    #7
    I bought one 2 weeks ago and got it yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it all things considered, I needed it though. My feeling is that even if the new ones come out in January, I wouldn't want to get first generation so there was no way I'm waiting another year to let the kinks get worked out.
     
  8. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #8
    you consider 200mhz a "much faster processor" ? a 3.2-3.6 is a much faster processor

    the new CPUS to my understanding will still be on the santa rosa chipset so they will NOT support anything higher than 4gb ram, you have to remember that mac's are the only real use for 8gb of ram.

    Intel is developing theses mobile platforms for all OEMs no one else really has a need for 8gb so intel isnt going to waste their time with it, i dont even see anywhere that the Montevina platform is going to support more than 4gb either
     
  9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #9
    My next MBP purchase will be in the summer of 2010........... in the time being I'll just have to be happy with what I've got and ignore the hype.
     
  10. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2007
    #10
    I think its funny that people actually "wait" for an update. You realize 2.4 - 2.6 is like 2 milliseconds difference in load time?

    Just get it when you want it. Updates mean nothing... Unless its blue ray, and a new case design, just get it when you want it.
     
  11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

    xUKHCx

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location:
    The Kop
    #11
    I was happy about the update (except maybe the combo drive still on the bottom model) and I bought one (top white).
     
  12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #12
    50% larger cache will likely be where the improvement lies with this update.

    A GPU update maybe... tweaks here and there.
     
  13. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2007
    #13
    Casual users (90% of users) see no change in performance from updates to specs. Its worthless for your to wait until an update comes out, unless its something to do with the screen, or another form of aesthetic change. I just ordered my 17 inch 1920x1200 glossy and im going to love it :D
     
  14. Josheua macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    United States
    #14
    Guys, do you think with the updates in January the macbook pro will go up in price? I currently have a budget to buy the 2.4 ghz 15.4 inch pro with 2 gigs of ram and 7200rpm hardrive with applecare, but want to wait for the updates. Do you think Apple will keep current price points and honor student discounts when the new pro is released in January or should I just buy it now?
     
  15. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #15
    do you need it now? Yes? Buy it. You'd rather wait because it's for fun more than pleasure? Fine. I would recommend going in and buying it right now. Then don't go onto apple.com or this site for a year or so. Enjoy your mac :)
     
  16. lcseds macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2006
    Location:
    NC, USA
    #16
    I will get my new MBP tomorrow. Not interested in January. A new model may be announced but may still be weeks out from the announcement. And, as someone mentioned, I'll let someone else work the bugs out of a Rev 1 system. This MBP sold today is pretty solid. I may upgrade next year around this time, who knows. But I'll gladly "settle" for the one being sold today.
     
  17. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #17
    did they up the price for the new macbooks? No.

    apple sticks with certain price points and dosent usually deviate from those
     
  18. redrevival macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    #18
    I was satisfied... i thought about waiting for the MBP but really, as a student, i just don't have the money for it. and because 90% of my time is writing papers and surfing the web, i don't need anything more than the macbook. i wanted to see a better graphics card and SR and that happened, so i was satisfied.

    i also bought now because i have a feeling the next update to the macbook will be a full revision and i have no interest in aluminum.

    so, a macbook was purchased and i am now (painfully!) awaiting it's arrival! :D
     
  19. Matteh117 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    Location:
    Surrey, UK
    #19
    Eek. I was excited, then disappointed, then I went and bought one anyway.

    Maybe if the MBP specs go up with the same price I'll get one next year.. only time will tell. ;p
     
  20. bagelche macrumors 6502

    bagelche

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Western Mass.
    #20
    I played the waiting game for a long time. When the bump finally came about last week, I figured it was time to jump. The change was nominal enough and didn't affect the refurb market. There's no incentive for me to wait another 3+ months when the MBP that is out now will meet my needs.

    I bought a refurbed MBP 2.2 and it should arrive in the next couple of days. anxiousness abounds!

    We'll see what January holds, but I've got no shortage of work I can do between now and then.
     
  21. jameskohn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #21
    Buy it, use it, enjoy it...

    I've been needing to upgrade my G4 PowerBook, mostly to handle AVCHD video files but also because I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest. Being pretty sure that there is going to be some MBP upgrade in January (pretty sure, but not positive) I was planning on waiting the extra 3 months. When they did the "upgrade" last week it was more than I could bare and I pulled the trigger: 15" MBP, 2.6Ghz, 7200rpm. Will load it up with 4GB ram as soon as I get it. Worst case scenario, if I just can't resist the upcoming January (or June) update I just sell this one on ebay. Resale should be pretty good for that machine, I take a hit for a few hundred dollars, and scratch my itch once again for the "latest and greatest". I'm pretty excited about the machine I ordered though, so unless a new one is really a lot more desirable I'll be inclined to keep this one for a while.
     
  22. Josheua macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    United States
    #22
    No, i am talking about in January. When they up date the processors and possibly revamp the case and screen. Do you think apple will up the price points for the macbook pro's or will they stay at the 1999, 2499, and 2799 dollar points.
     
  23. Creibold macrumors regular

    Creibold

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2006
    #23
    I'm Sold

    I'll be buying the Macbook Pro 15.4 inch 2.6ghz, 250GB 5400rpm here in a couple days. Can't wait!!!!:D
     
  24. Oirectine macrumors regular

    Oirectine

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2003
    Location:
    Maryland
  25. caj thread starter macrumors member

    caj

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Illinois, United States
    #25
    of course, i just want a new case design
     

Share This Page