New Macbook makes me happy with my old macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blinkie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. blinkie macrumors regular

It's usual for an update to make me feel happier with my old hardware. But when I bought my whitebook last March I had an idea that it was going to be a bit of a one off. I use my firewire everyday and often use the line in too. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I read about the update.

2. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

you love what you love I am getting the new one, looks so modern.

3. no3tic888 macrumors member

Yeah, leaving out the firewire is a deal killer for me. I said that about the MacBook Unibody when it didn't have it too. I correctly predicted to my friend that they'll bring it back in the next revision. But I think they'll have "Light Peak" in the next MacBook update. At least I would hope so, USB 2.0 is so slow. I guess a MacBook Pro 13" is where I'm headed now. :)

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Leaving out firewire is indeed a huge mistake. However, the design is great and it's probably much more sturdy.

5. Ammo macrumors regular

Funny thing is the Macbook update made it a no-brainer for me to pick this one over the MBP. I haven't used firewire in 6 years because I haven't had any classes that require video editing since high school.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

They probably took it out to show the difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro. I know people would be crying about this.
    I think the new Macbook is a smoking deal compared to the 13 inch Macbook Pro 2.26GHz. You don't get an SD slot, or a backlite keyboard, but you do get a 250GB hard drive. I really like this.

7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to be a buzzkillington, but do most people use firewire anymore? I've actually never have used it on any of my macs but i did on a older ipod with a sony vaio that had a really small port (the 400 cable plugged into a adapter that came with the ipod) I know the advantages of firewire, but USB is basically well, universal now, and i don't think most people mind using it.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If I got the last generation MacBook within the last month or so, I would be kicking myself, not including the exclusion of FireWire, the new MacBook is better than the old one. Better screen, addressed the cracking issues and now hardware is on par with the rest of the portable lineup (now DDR3 instead of DDR2 and LED display).

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Its so stupid that they left off FW. They did the same exact thing with the Aluminum MacBooks and then brought it back with 13" MBP.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

But it does at least mark some sort of demarcation between the 'consumer' and 'pro' lines, doesn't it? Now, only if they would have dropped the price just a little bit to boot...:(

11. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

ha no way i bought mine in march to. im so happy i didnt wait, i use line for my guitar everyday and firewire for my external hard drive stupid move on apple's part for taking firewire out and line in

12. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

^^^ What he said.

Now, with similar specs, the FW, SD card slot, and design features are what distinguishes this new macbook to its "pro" brothers.

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The most visible advantage is the greatly improved speed for external hd..but then estata is better anyways =\

14. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

Looks like my MacBook resell value just went up a bit since it has firewire lol. Many people may not use it but hey its better to have and not need than to need and not have. Heck the other day my teacher made us turn in out lab assignment on a floppy drive cause here USB port was not working. You just never know when you might have to go old school.

15. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

I hear you, but what I want from my computer is adaptability, and I think that what Apple have removed has lessened its potential uses rather than increase them. Screen, yes, but I often use an external. Cracking issues I believe were sorted a long time ago now. And DDR3? I just can't get excited about it, its expensive ( remember I bought the cheapest macbook ;) )

16. Tenshi macrumors newbie

What do you guys use the FW port for? I've never had to use it. :p

17. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Personally I use mine for External Drives and Video Cameras. It's always in use.

18. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Importing video from cameras that use DV tapes, and much quicker back up solution than USB2.

19. remmy macrumors 6502a

You've never needed to move a couple hundred gigabytes as a backup. USB takes forever. Since removing firewire what are they going to use a high speed transfer?

Just two USB ports is pretty rubbish for any laptop let alone one that costs so much.

Lastly just because you dont use it dosnt mean other people rely apon it. :rolleyes:

20. forester54 macrumors member

forester54

I use it to transfer files between my MP and MB. Usually large files (1GB+) and FW is the easiest way for me to do it

21. TheZA macrumors regular

Ditto. The biggest deal is for video. I don't want to not be able to connect my current video camera, or to have to buy a new one. I like DV over a card for the video camera.

Makes me feel good about my purchase of the mid-2009 white Macbook.

22. Tenshi macrumors newbie

What a silly conclusion. I was merely asking what people used it for. I was educating myself (I am a newbie!).

Backing up my computer doesn't take too long using USB. My hard drive is only 120 gigs after all hahaha.