New MacBook makes my Samsung LCD freak out

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by urbanskywalker, Nov 9, 2008.

1. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

I have have the new Aluminum MacBook 2.0 GHZ and I just bought a Samsung SynchMaster 2493HM 24" monitor. It started out fine but when I woke the MacBook from sleep the Samsung started doing some weird video effects as well as losing the picture altogether. After I turned it off and then back on the screen worked fine.

I made a short video with my pocket camera and posted it on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rimmc2nUaVA

2. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else having screen fuzz and bands of coloured pixels when running an external monitor after waking from sleep?

3. manuel.mx macrumors member

Yeah I do, and my problem was worst because I used to have that all the time when using mini DisplayPort to DVI and connect through DVI to the monitor.

I had to change to dvi to hdmi cable to fix my constant interference but I still have that issue of interference after waking up.

For what I've read in the apple support forums (where this issue is more mentioned that here) the reason for this after-waking up issue is the leopard update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 and that made this appear.

No fix exists for it yet, and the only workaround is to sleep your monitor and wake it up if that shows up. You can do that by either placing a corner in expose to do so or by pressing CTRL-SHIFT-Eject and it will sleep the displays and then you wake them up with your mouse/keyboard and it will wake up properly.

Good luck

4. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think it's damaging to the external monitor? I'm considering returning mine and waiting for Apple to post a software fix. I'm also using Displayport to DVI.

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Roger that - i'm having the same issue.

I resort to unplugging the display port cable and then inserting it back in a few seconds later... that does solve it.

I've got a three years warranty on my monitor and three years Applecare if it does decide to mess up... as you can see, im really not bothered at this time :D

6. manuel.mx macrumors member

I'm not sure whether it will screw up your monitor... That is a good question.

I don't usually allow my monitor to sleep so I don't come across this issue that often, I dont know if you can disable monitor sleeping while plugged in or something, im not familiar with all the options in OS X control panel, and I'm at work.

Using Control + Shift + Eject seems to be the easier way to get out of such mode. I dont feel like plugging and unplugging a lot the mini DP port thing, I hate those adapters, make me feel like after a few time of use they are going to become loose and unplug by any sudden move.

We cant do anything but to wait for this.

I went to an apple store and talked with the so called genius and they dont seem to be informed of this issue at all. Apparently it doesn't affect a lot of their cinema displays, and when you try at the store it works fine there so they assume it is your non-apple monitors fault and incompatibility, or so was the experience for me and i got quite mad at such lame support. I pointed out that a lot of users complain about it in the apple support forums, 90+ and his reply was: "well, you know most of the time is one user posting over and over"

We dont have much resort but to wait for a fix from apple.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, I got the "it must be your display" from Apple, too. Really, I asked. The same display that worked with NO problems with my G5 powermac, core duo mac mini, and core 2 duo iMac? So why does it ONLY do it with this new macbook?

The genius muttered something about refresh rates, and charged me a $169 restocking fee when I upgraded to the Macbook Pro.

sjobs@apple.com got an angry email from me. I suggest everyone else do the same.

This is crap. If Apple sells products that don't work as advertised for their premium prices, defending them makes you a fanboi.

8. manuel.mx macrumors member

oh yeah, in my case the display works fine with older models, and yet he said it was the monitor not being compatible, i just said that it depended on his definition of incompatibility to claim that the problem was my monitor. All he did was to check in the database, that makes them genius i guess.

Anyways,

According to apple insider a fix is on the way for all this display issues:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...tebook_orders_plans_fixes_for_new_models.html

9. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

How long do you think we'll wait for the software fix?

Also, is anyone using an external display with no problems?

10. California macrumors 68040

California

If it makes you feel any better, it did it with my new al macbook and my 23" Apple C Display. I just restarted the machine.

11. qwikrex macrumors member

Sometimes when I wake from sleep, my 21.6" Hanns G external display has this weird colorful pixelated static. I need to unplug the mini dp cable and reconnect and it usually goes away. Is this what you're experiencing as well? BTW I'm running a mini dp to dvi adapter to a belkin dvi-hdmi cable.

12. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it does not happen all the time. I think it's a feedback loop frm a graphics glitch. I'm running the display port to DVI-D

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

resolutions

Got on the phone to apple customer care, and complained about the restocking fee. Was instructed to go to my applestore, ask for a particular manager, and was told my fee would be refunded. It was.

Also noticed my MBP behaves with my monitors significantly better-especially when I'm running the 9600 and not the 9400. Not sure if it is a problem with the graphics chip or the display port, but you're not alone in this regard. Hopefully, this is a software update fix, and not defective chips from nvidia that the last gen MBP's had.