New MacBook, memory replacement and warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fernandovalente, Jan 30, 2010.

1. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Hey guys, I'm gonna buy a new MacBook soon(probably next month). I got some questions about memory replacement. Before the unibody notebooks, you could replace memory without losing the warranty. I wanna have 4GB of RAM, so I will have to do the replacement myself. May I replace memory without losing the warranty on a MacBook unibody?

Also, memories specially designed for Macs are too expensive in the country I live(Brazil), so I would like to use PC modules. I did it on my actual MacBook. So, which module module should I buy? DDR3 @1066MHz? I can't pay 400 bucks for 4GB of memory, so if I decide to replace the memory I MUST buy modules designed for PCs. :(

I forgot to ask. Which brand do you recommend?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple charges $100 for 4GB of memory. I'm not sure where you got that $400 figure. Here are the specifications for the unibody MacBook (polycarbonate) memory. Select which model of MacBook you have.

I just checked macsales.com and newegg.com. A 4GB memory kit from macsales.com costs $102.99 + tax + shipping. Apple charges you $100 + tax if you BTO your MacBook.

Finally, yes you can install new memory and hard drive without losing your warranty. All memory and hard drives are user replaceable for all current Macs, except Mac Mini I think. MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro.

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Macs use standard PC memory. Check the poster above for memory. It is still inexpensive, so I too have no idea where you have the price @ $400!?

If Apple is charging $100 for RAM then just have them install it when you purchase it. I own RAM from macsales, in the past and have been very happy. I am not sure if they ship internationally, however.

4. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Thank you guys! As I said, I live in Brazil and those memories from Apple here costs 400 bucks. Thanks for helping me. :)

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Make sure you purchase guaranteed mac-compatible memory. Cheap-o stuff can cause a cascade of kernel panics and it's a PIA to deal with.

6. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Thanks, I use to buy memories from Kingston as they're cheap and good. I don't trust other brands such as Markvision.