New MacBook memory v.s. Mac Pro memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacWinRon, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MacWinRon macrumors newbie

It's very excited to see macbook update, but i notice the new laptop came with 1066MHz speed memory. Even the Apple computer top of the line mac pro only came with 800MHz memory speed.
    So does this means laptop can access information faster than desktop?
    Thanks for advice.

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Not an expert here, but seeing that nobody else has replied I figured I'd try to help you out.

My answer: probably not.

I mean, maybe, on paper, if you're only considering one aspect: the clockspeed of the RAM.

But something as simple as the hard drive spinning faster in the mac pro (7200 rpm vs. 5400 rpm) might even be enough to even it out.

And then you have to factor in the different processors, and cache sizes, and the fact that your Mac Pro can double as a cheese grater when you're eating spaghetti.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

desktop RAM is a lot faster than notebook RAM plus the Mac Pro uses FB-DIMM RAM while notebooks usually use SO-DIMM and desktops DIMM.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Not when they have identical specifications.

FB-DIMMs are supposed to offer greater bandwidth but it doesn't match the prices you can get DDR2 at. The error correcting is necessary for a workstation though.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Each DIMM technically yes ...

But the notebooks are single/dual channel 64/128-bit, while the Mac Pro is either dual channel (128) or quad channel (256-bit) delivering up to 12.8 or 25.6GB per second with slower memory, versus 8.5 or 17GB per second with the faster memory on the MacBooks.

When the Mac Pros switch to DDR3 and keeping up the requirement for more matched DIMMs, they will still be able to squeek ahead -- and the higher clock on workstation memory won't hurt either.

6. MacWinRon thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the post, of course Mac Pro is powerful and faster, come on 8 cores cpu!!!
    but base on memory only, because in apple online store an upgrade on laptop memory from 2gb to 4 gb is only $150. however on desktop memory from 2 gb to 4 gb is whopping $500 and that is only add two 1gb sticks. one 2gb stick alone is $500.
    So, what am i really trying to say is if Mac Pro memory is slower and more expensive, what is apple doing? screwing their Mac Pro users, i'm being one of them just a month ago.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It's supply and demand with his is why people buy elsewhere. Of course you have to remember that not many computers use either this new DDR3 notebook RAM or the special Mac Pro RAM.