Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xreyuk

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Hi Guys.

I have a mid 2010 White Unibody Macbook, and I'm looking to upgrade to the new Macbook Pro 13" Retina.

When I upgrade, is it recommended to do a completely new install, or is migration assistant good enough to use?

I have a fair bit of data to move and would prefer to use migration assistant but I understand that sometimes fresh is best.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Yes but only install user data (Documents), Music, Pictures & Movies plus SAVED Email. Whatever you do DON'T transfer Network settings because the TCP/IP stack has changed!Pl,us really consider updating all your expensive programs comparing them on MacUpdate.com to get them updated for Yosemite.

Smith2000

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Go for it

I'd give Migration Assistant a shot.

You can always erase and start again if you run into trouble, but I recently did it when I upgraded my iMac to the new retina one and it worked great.

xreyuk

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Cheers guys.

I wasn't completely sure what Migration Assistant transferred over, so wasn't sure if it was best to start fresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.