New Macbook - minor issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macbook yes, Jun 1, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I just graduated from high school and got a new uMB last week that I will be taking to college this summer. I had a mac before but it was about 5 years old and running 10.4. All the new features are nice, but I have a few questions.

A. In firefox, sometimes websites will only load in plain text without any formatting. Notable, this website and facebook. I know it has happened to more but I don't remember what.

B. In iCal, there used to be a drawer-type thing that extended from the right side that would show you all the details. In this version, i can't find where to open that, and I have to double click on things to see the details. Did they get rid of this drawer? It was really helpful.

C. In iChat, do both people have to have iChat to video chat or can the other person be using the google video chat?

D. In the finder sidebar, it used to fave a link to movies, pictures, music, etc. Has this moved?

E. Do I really need to upgrade my RAM or is the amount it came with sufficient for Firefox, iCal, iTunes, Word, and sometimes photoshop to run?

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Question E: 2 GB is what I have and I do that. Would I have more if I could? Yes but my G4 will not take anymore.

Question D: You can just drag it in if it is not there. It will be under "Places". You can see that I have added stuff to it.

Attached Files:

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

This seems more likely a problem with your internet connection than Firefox. Have you checked another browser?

Possibly relevant, today (only) I've been seeing intermittent issues with the same thing (stylesheet not loading) on the MacRumors home page. It's definitely on MacRumors' end, since it did this under two different browsers both at home and work.

Assuming you have 2GB, it should do fine with everything but Photoshop. My MBP maxes out at 2GB and it will run Photoshop and a few other apps at the same time, but you can tell it's hurting. For less than $75 for a 4GB upgrade, I'd say it's well worth it if you can at all afford it.

4. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll look into getting more RAM, but I don't know if I can spare the cash, as I'm just starting college, and this computer wasn't cheap in the first place.

I got the finder-thing alright.

No one knows about iCal?

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I just double-checked, and you're out of luck on B; they completely removed the drawer. There were a LOT of complaints about that when Leopard first shipped, and I agree it was a bad move, but not much you can do other than hope they'll fix it in 10.6.

6. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, ok. I guess I can get used to the absence of the drawer, it's just a hassle.

One more question: In Finder on my old computer, I had the folders with fewer items in icons and the ones with more items, like applications, in columns. Now whenever I click on the view options, it changes everywhere. Where can I set this to only change in one window?