New Macbook, need help transferring music

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NewMacbook35, Aug 14, 2008.

1. NewMacbook35 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. Today I got my first macbook and I love it. I've never used a mac in my life so I've got some learning to do. I've been reading these forums for months and finally decided to register. I want to transfer my music from my windows PC to my mac and am having some trouble. I put all my music on a 4gb flash drive and put it in my mac and I don't really know what to do after that; nothing happens when I put the flash drive in. How do I even access it like on my PC I'd go to my computer and it would be there. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

2. tallestof4 macrumors member

usually the flashdrive icon would pop up on your desktop (a picture of a disk)

"Will my PC devices (cameras, printers, hard drives) work with a Mac?

A Mac has hundreds of drivers for peripherals preinstalled. Just connect your device and, in most cases, you’re good to go. And a Mac is smart enough to know what to do when you plug in your digital camera: It opens iPhoto and asks if you want to import your recent photos."
    - Apple.com

3. nickbr00tality macrumors newbie

if you go to finder, the flash drive will show up in the list. you can open the flash drive and copy the music to your itunes music folder; then in itunes, file>add to library>navigate where you saved the music>enter.

4. NewMacbook35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. I figured out the problem had to do with it being a sandisk cruzer flash drive and some of the features on it weren't supported by macs. So I changed some setting on the flash drive and now it shows up when I plug it in.

I have another question though. Is there anything I need to do to my ipod before I plug it into my mac for the first time? I've been using it on a windows computer its whole life so is there some setting in it I need to change? Thanks again.

5. nickbr00tality macrumors newbie

iTunes may require you to restore your iPod so that it is formatted for use on a Mac. Be sure to have everything backed up! and I believe that's it.