New macbook need help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kev63, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Kev63 macrumors newbie

Gah, this is so stressful even the close window is on the wrong side!

Can tell im a windows user? Lol - Wonder if you guys can help me out, as im currently typing this on my brand new mac.

I cant find grage band etc. dont all new macbooks come with this installed? ive seriously searched everywhere for it.

Another problem is i installed fiefox and msn messenger and everytime i start them up it says this was downloaded from internet blah blah are you sure you want to run? They seem to be mounted on a driver under the MAC HD (Top left hand corner of desktop). Anyway to just install and have them without the annoying pop up and the new drive?

Alot of problem ive been able to fix but the iLife and downloaded apps is annoying me now.

Please help!

P.A. Sorry if the typing is poor - this new unibody keyboard takes some getting used to.

Peace out!

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Firefox -
    Did you following the installation instruction and drag the app to Applications? If so, then eject that installation drive and trash it. Now run the new one in your Applications folder.

Another tip. You can drag the entire Applications folder to your dock (right next to the trash bin). This will give you instant access to all your apps.

iLife-
    If Garageband and other iLife apps are not in the Applications folder, stick in the 2nd DVD that came with your system, and install the missing apps.

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

in the top right far corner. there is a magnifying glass symbol. you can type anything in there and it should show up.

yes garage band is on there.

you can also click finder go the bar on the left side and click applications. the garageband icon will show up in there aswell.

look at the apple change as a good thing. seriously you will never look back.

4. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i got the firefox and msn sorted :) thanks guys. But is there an equivelant on macs to the windows task bar (I mean the bottom right by the clock with the small icons)

Im getting messages on msn but its not popping the convo up so im unaware lol.

As for searching for garageband i tried that. Ill try the second cd, i got a OS one and another. Ill try the other :)

Thanks for the help guys its appreciated.

P.S. These speakers are so cool, hidden speakers haha!

msn problem solved. biggest tip i found is to use the menu bar along the top - it changes via program open instead of the actual programme carrying the bar llike in windows.

Hehe ill learn, slowly but surely

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Not really (I guess). What exactly are you looking for?

By the way, if you haven't already, watch the tutorial videos on the Apple website. There are a lot more cool things about OS X to be discovered.

Welcome to the family!

6. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, got grage band etc now too so WOOOP :D

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

For IM, use Adium. It's a much better program than Messenger (at least the earlier Messenger versions I looked at) and supports pretty much every IM protocol out there, including MSN - http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#MSN-specific

It comes with Growl alerts, which pops up a little window in the top right when you get new messages.

8. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

to uninstall a programme do i just delete it from the apps folder?

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Yes. You can also delete the associate associated system files, although it's not a MUST as they don't take up too much space.

Here's how:

- go to spotlight (magnifying glass, upper right), type in the app name
    - select showall
    - click "+" (upper right) on the new window
    - change 'Kind' to 'Others...', scroll down, check 'System files', then 'OK'
    - also change 'don't include' to 'include'
    - new you can delete the .plist files (preference)

PS. There are a few apps out there that comes with an uninstaller. Usually these apps were installed with an installer too (not by dragging to the Applications folder)

10. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate

Ive just wasted 3 hours stuck on windows haha not relising howto get back to Mac OS. Damn bootcamp.

After playing on vista awhile tho im back to Mac and let the learnin curve begin now i know the basics.

Thanks for all the help peeps.

Oh, btw - anyones uni body mac space bar load? Rest of my keys are fine but the space bar seems to make a loud clicking noise :S

11. tyreal macrumors member

I use Appcleaner. It's a free application remover. Just drag the app into Appcleaner and it removes any left over preferences which are usually stored in the library files.

It does a pretty good job.

12. Kev63 thread starter macrumors newbie

2 more questions sorry.. :D

When im playing a game that doesnt have a menu to exit (that i could find) is there an ALT+F4 kinda thing for mac, or even an alt tab i can switch out of and back in to the game? I tried to 4 finger swipe with no luck.

Also... i have a partition called DISK0S3 thats around 30gig and cant get rid of it :( It appeared after i installed windows via bootcamp but ive deleted that partition now (Cause mac kept starting in windows with silly grub> error or something)

Thanks again - kev

any help please

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can use cmd-tab to switch between applications (similarly to the alt-tab in Windows that switches between windows).

Cmd-Q quits (most) applications, while cmd-W closes the active window.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/