New macbook..need to sync iPhone but.....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by skip43, Mar 3, 2009.

1. skip43 macrumors newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just picked up a new macbook today and want to get my iphone all set up on it and am a bit worried.

Am I going to lose my contacts when I sync my phone to the macbook?

I've read tons of threads regarding the syncing of a phone on a new laptop but didn't really get the answer I was looking for.

All I really care about is my contacts not getting erased when I sync it with the new macbook.

Thanks for the help.

2. doodman macrumors newbie

3. jhilla macrumors newbie

do it!

I had the same problem, I bought an iMac and sold my macbook but I wasn't able to complete a data merge with my old mac. But i did save my itunes library to my external and just drag and dropped it into my new machine.

I'm pretty sure you can do a purge data sync. It's a two-way sync the first time you opt to do so. Rather than one-way where the computer purges the info on to the iPhone.)

I did it to mine, and i've got all my info off my iphone and onto my new computer.

4. MacGeekPro macrumors newbie

There are plenty of apps for OSX in regards to syncing contact and other information.

Just visit www.MacUpdate.com

Yoshi

5. hvlien macrumors newbie

I picked up a new iMac over the weekend and was thinking about syncing my iPhone with it. I have all my media and contacts (via mobileMe) backed up, but my question is will a sync also erase my texts? I have texts going back to the iPhone 2G launch. I haven't been able to find the answer to this anywhere.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Your texts will not be lost. You know there is a way to save your text messages on your Mac, right? Then they aren't lurking on your iPhone waiting to be accidently deleted or lost.

David

7. hvlien macrumors newbie

Are you talking about Syphone? Or is there another method?

Sorry...I haven't used a mac on a daily basis in a few years and even then, it was just for the basics.

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Syphone is a good application to do this, there are a few others. I haven't used any before so I wouldn't be able to tell you how they work.

If don't use a Mac on a daily basis, do you use a PC or do you live in a cave?

David