New Macbook new case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LauraGrubbe, Aug 20, 2014.

1. LauraGrubbe macrumors newbie

So I'm going to buy my new MBP in a few days and since it's a big investment for me I would like to protect it. I'm in love with the Twelve South book case (http://zapp5.staticworld.net/review...south_bookbook_for_macbook_air_1116805_g1.jpg), I love that I can just open and use since the reason I never use my current sleeve (http://www.humac.dk/sites/default/f...mac/products/TR-ALS15-SIL_1.png?itok=096cfwj8) is because I can't be bothers fiddling around with it all the time.

But here's my concern - I've read that some people have trouble with using the computer in cases and overheating. I do some heavy stuff (3D, rendering etc) and this is already a problem for me on my iMac and my current MBP without any cover. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Is there something I can do to protect my MBP from overheating if I buy this case? Is there a slim usb cooling pad I can place under my MBP while in the case? Is this even something I should be worried about? Is there a better case that won't potentially cause this problem?

2. cyrex78 macrumors newbie

Get a speck seethru satin red one yesterday from amazon, looks really nice. In regards to the overheating problem, i highly doubt that you will suffer from this issue if you get a stand like belkin or mstand.

3. LauraGrubbe thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be using it around uni so a stand won't be an option, and the case I'm talking about is quit different from the one you just bought :)

4. MTL18 macrumors regular

I work at a university and those cases are extremely bulky. For myself, I currently use (and will use with my next MBP) a sleeve only. Protect it but keep it lean. You're paying a ton of money for this profile, might as well enjoy it!

5. TechZeke, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I use a Waterfield Sleeve(http://www.sfbags.com/collections/macbook-cases/products/custom-fit-macbook-laptop-sleevecase) with my MacBook naked except for a nice skin back of the display.

I tried doing the hard case thing, but it added too much weight and bulk to the MBP.

Waterfield sleeves have excellent padding from drops, and even if something were to damage my machine, I have insurance. No need for a hard case.

As for sleeve that allows you to use the MacBook still inside, it should be okay for light use but I wouldn't try doing anything intensive with it in there. I'd recommend going to the library or someplace with a table.

6. Hansana macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Not bulky at all.

----------

^^

7. cyrex78 macrumors newbie

Don't actually mind the extra bit of weight as long as it provides protection for my macbook

8. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I'm a firm believer that Apple designed these laptops to never require a laptop cooler or lifted stand.

The snap on cases should have nothing to block the exhaust/fan ports.

9. LauraGrubbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Diversion I thought so too, but I've had several problems with both my MBP and my iMac - they overheat and shut down. But as I said, I do some heavy stuff and my sister who just write notes, surfs the net and use facebook etc has never had any problems at all.

I would still be very interested if anyone knew of a cooling pad to slip under the computer in the bookbook case, because I love that it's so easy and the design is perfect, but if not I could always just keep it in when I takes notes at lectures and then take it out when I do the heavy duty stuff...

My 6 y/o MBP sometimes can't even stay at a clean, cold table for too long before overheating and shutting down, especially not on a hot day but I don't expect that kind of problems with the new one.

10. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

What outer case is this ?

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

That Book Case seems to block the air vents on the computer in the picture.

12. Hansana macrumors regular

It's a hard shell case I for from eBay. Was like $25. It's good :)

13. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah but which one is it ? what is it called ?

14. Hansana macrumors regular

Search retina MacBook Pro hard shell case.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If your Mac is getting so hot that it shuts down, there is something wrong with it. Every Mac I've used will throttle the CPU/GPU and ramp up the fan speeds well before it is hot enough to crash.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I played some big time games like Civ5, Total War with my rMBP protected by Speck See Thru case and it never overheat at all just under 80 degree. :apple:

17. LauraGrubbe thread starter macrumors newbie

No, there's nothing wrong with them except they're a bit old. It's because I'm doing some intense work, any computer with the same specs would have a hard time not overheating while doing that kind of work unless they were in a freezer...
    And it does have the fans on full power.