New Macbook - New HDD - old OS?? And what about Lion??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Jul 7, 2011.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm upgrading my 2009 Macbook Pro to the new 2011 model -

I'm immediately swapping out the stock 320GB HDD for a 500GB SSD hybrid, but I'm wondering if there's an easy way to copy my OS and all my files from my current hard drive to the new one, or whether it'd just be easier for me to re-install everything and start again.

Also, on a related note, I know that Lion is going to be released soon, and I should be buying my new machine within the window for a free upgrade - do you think that I should wait til it's released to swap my stuff over? Will it require another complete reinstall??

2. simsaladimbamba, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

simsaladimbamba

1. Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy.

2. You can just upgrade to Lion, no need for reinstallation.
    Btw, if you buy an MBP now, you get a stable OS, and can update to Lion whenever you like (for free).
    But if you wait till Lion is released and preinstalled on the MBP you want to buy, you can hardly go back to SL, if you deem Lion too unstable for your needs.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ooh - great point!! Thanks for the links/suggestions! :)

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Personally I would do a reinstall, cloning is great but having a fresh install really makes your MBP zoom!

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hmm yeah, I may be stuck with a reinstall as it seems my new MBP doesnt wanna boot from my old SSD whether internally or via USB.... It just hangs on the grey apple logo???

Any ideas?

6. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version is on that old SSD (or Momentus XT)?

7. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

10.6.7 - same as on the new MacBook... If I boot from CD i can see the hard drive in disk utility; verifies fine too.... Can't understand why it wouldn't work?!

8. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

My only theory is that although the new mac and old mac should theoretically be running the exact same OS version, there must be tiny differences that are stopping it from booting - so looks like I'm gonna have to go with a fresh install and then copy old settings via migration assistant....

Oh well! :)

9. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

update your software to 10.6.8 then it should boot. The new one has a special version of 10.6.7 that contains the drivers for that computer. They get incorporated in to the next software update.

10. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I actualt kinda solved it a different way - I installed from the new OS X discs over the top of my old OS and when I booted it was the new OS but still with all my old files, settings and apps.... Weird huh?!