New Macbook - New iPhone - no USB-c adapter. Screwed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by caipirina, May 5, 2015.

1. caipirina macrumors member

I skimmed the headlines of the recent 4 pages but did not see that pop up.

Wife was about to get a new macbook and new phone at an authorized apple shop in Bangkok (we live in SE Asia), but then were told that there are no usb-c to regular usb adapters to be had in all of BKK (which now, after seeing that thread about those are all over ebay, I find very questionable) ... they also could not really answer the question what is now possible and what not ..

In my opinion / experience, the phone needs to be cable connected to a computer for initial iTunes setup ... after that it is possible to sync music via wifi ... now, they claim they can do the initial set up WITHOUT cable, but there is no syncing possible until we get an adapter ...

Very confused now, I guess they mean they can set up the phone as a 'i don't belong to any computer' device .. and that's that ...

The topic is also really tricky to google ... I just wasted time on a buffering Cnet video with a promising title, when after commercials and long winded intro the big solution was 'get an adapter' ... sigh ..

cheers!

2. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

3. caipirina thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, where we live, 'just ordering' something does not exist (i.e. mail from the US takes forever, if it not vanishes completely, and if eventually arrives it is bombed with customs, duty and taxes ... which is crazy since we live so close to China, where all that stuff is made :)

4. noobinator macrumors 601

These things are also all over eBay. I'm sure you can find one that will ship to you. Many probably ship from China.

5. caipirina thread starter macrumors member

ok, once again .. having something shipped here is NOT an option AT ALL.

so, without that adapter, there is no solution? Apple made it appear that everything is wireless and peachy now ...

Really stupid then from apple not to pack at least the basic 19$ thingie (which probably costs less than a $ to make) in the box ... my wife ended up not buying the MacBook today because of that ...

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Yep, I have friends who are in China and getting parcels is near prohibited! People who have not been there simple have no idea how closed things are in China.

7. caipirina thread starter macrumors member

We live in Vietnam, a 3rd world country, the postal system is just not as developed as in, errrrr, developed countries ... a simple letter can take 4 weeks (it arrives in the country after 1, but then getting it the last 20km takes forever)

so .. is there any solution without that adapter?

(funny side note, wasn't the first macbook in the wild spotted and youtubed in Vietnam? ;) )

8. rahulr macrumors regular

There are purely wirelessly ways to "sync" but they are cumbersome at best.

All of the following assumes you have completed the iCloud backup, which is totally wireless.

For photos, turn on photo stream on the mac and the phone, this will make sure all of the photos transfer over. If you have your photos on your mac, download the free dropbox app, upload them all from your mac, and then install the same app on your phone and download the pics you want.

For music, I would use a service like google music or amazon music and upload the songs you want from your mac and then download them to your device using the same method above. If you want to pay a little, then you could use iTunes match, then your whole library will be in the cloud.

For files, again, dropbox is the best bet.

Beyond that, I can't really think of what's left to sync. If you have movies, and other things, again, dropbox is the way to go.

I haven't plugged a phone or even synced a phone with my mac since the iPhone 4 I think. But all my information is in the cloud.

9. Macbuyer7 macrumors member

To answer your question, yes, you can do the initial set up wirelessly. Just make sure the Apple ID you use for the phone is the same as your iTunes on your computer. The phone doesn't need to be 'registered with a computer' like the iPods back in the day. And if all your music is purchased through iTunes you should be able to just re download it on your phone via the iTunes Store until the adapters come in. Is this your wife's first iPhone, or is she coming from another iPhone. ICloud backup has worked seamlessly for me going from an iPhone 5s to a 6, but I understand people are more comfortable with a local backup.