New Macbook Not Sure If Keyboard Light Is Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nim6us, Jul 6, 2013.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

I just bought a Macbook Pro 2011. I don't have a lot of experience with Macs so I'm not sure if this is right. The keyboard light is on, it gets darker and brighter with F5 and F6 however something looks off. If I'm looking at it above the only keys lit it looks like a small "V" shape in the keyboard. I mean there's only like 10 keys that are actually lit up. If I look at it from an angle it looks like all the keys are lit up underneath. It's just the actual letters and numbers are not lit up. If you look at the picture you can see its like the numbers 4 5 6 7, and letters T,Y,U,I,G,H,J,B,N the rest are lit underneath. Ahh hard to describe.

Picture: http://imgur.com/xTXlXZi

Is this normal, or should all the keys be clearly illuminated? Even at the highest setting it still looks the same. I read something about a SMC restart or something? Can someone give me some feedback?

2. Buckaye macrumors member

that looks weird to me... though I just bought a used 2008 MBP and the lighting was weirdly toward the middle too. I have several other macs and the light is spread more evenly. I actually dislike the light anyway and turn it off :) Problem solved!

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

take it in a dark room. Lower the screen brightness - there's so much light shining on the keyboard from the screen that I can't tell if the keyboard's OK or not.

But yes - every key should be backlit.

4. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

You should be able to see light underneath every key if you tilt your MacBook.

5. falconeight Guest

falconeight

It's a common problem. I had it happen to two of mine.

6. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

Okay so it's an issue, I'm hoping because it's common, that means the solution is affordable (here's to wishful thinking). I dare to ask, what is the most affordable option to get this repaired? It's a late 2011 model, any chance it's still covered by Apple? They've always been really great a jut repairing things. :D

7. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Its not cheap they have to replace the entire keyboard. If its under warranty apple does it for free. You will have to drop it off though. You can buy the upper case for about $200 to $400 on ebay do it yourself or have someone do it for you.