New Macbook/Old PC WD Hardrive Conundrum.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigpants, Nov 3, 2008.

1. bigpants macrumors newbie

Here's one for ya....

On Friday I bought the new Macbook Pro. This is my first Mac :rolleyes:and I have the following problem:

I have a Western Digital Mybook hard drive which I used to use on an old laptop. I have since been using it on my PS3 for the last year.

I set up my Mac with Time Capsule added and the WD drive was seen by the TC and I was able to look at photos, videos and listen to songs from it.

I had to reset the TC and now it can't see the WD. I used disk utility whilst it was attached and the drive came up but I was unable to repair or verify the disk.

I then attemped to see if the wife's Windows laptop and an old Windows desktop could see it (which it did after a lot of time 'Not Responding') but was unable to access it as it said it needed to be formatted before it can be used.

For the record, my PS3 can see it perfectly.

I believe that the drive is FAT32 by nature and Disk Utility sees it as MS DOS FAT32.

I know that I could just format the disk but I really would like to keep the photos or least find a way to send them to another device or back them up first.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

3. bigpants thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, this should help with TC back up problem but will it solve the external HD problem.

I realise this is a two tiered problem.