New Macbook or 2nd hand MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Sep 3, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok, I am looking for an Apple notebook to use in order to begin my switch to macs.

Would I be better getting a brand new Macbook (base or mid model), or a 2nd hand Core 2 duo 2.16GHz Macbook Pro?

Thanks

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I think both will perform the same for the most part.
    I would just get the MacBook Pro if it still has warranty and everything.

Why not, right?

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The Macbook Pro doesn't have the warranty. It's one of the first Core 2 Duo models that were released.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You could split the diff - get a refurb MBP from apple - they had some older ones there earlier (meaning cheaper, er, affordable). That way you get zippiness and a one-year warranty.

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The obvious choice is the brand new Macbook. The MBP with the graphics card will die soon plus it is old. Unless you are going to play some intense games on it for a long time it would be stupid to get the MBP.

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The price is an issue in that solution (a MBP from the refurb store is the same price as a brand new one in the HE store), but the Macbook Pro I've been looking at is between £600 and £700.

Why do you say the graphics card will die soon? This is only an issue with the current models and not previous ones as far as I know.

7. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I'd go for the MacBook unless you need the power of the MacBook Pro's graphics card.

The MacBook has AppleCare, so in case anything is wrong with it you can take it into Apple.

The MacBook is certain to have the latest software from Apple (Mac OS X Leopard & iLife '08).

I don't see why the MacBook Pro would die soon?

8. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

As said above - unless you really need the discrete graphics (or the higher res screen) the MPB has, I'd go with the new MacBook. The Pro will be a slower machine overall (lower clock speed, lower bus speed) than the MacBook, and you won't have the safety net of AppleCare. Even if you do decide you need the pro, it might be best to wait a while and save up for the difference for a refurb.

The 2.16 Pro has the X1600 in it, correct? That shouldn't be a problem as far as the much publicized graphics card issues then - those are nVidia problems.

9. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I would go with a new macbook. They are great machines and this way you will be covered with AppleCare I'd anything goes wrong.
    I would only get the second hand MBP if you really really needed the dedicated graphics card. Otherwise I say go and enjoy a new MB you will love it!

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

My mistake. That version doesn't have the graphic card issue. Sorry about that. Regardless the new Macbook is the way to go IMO. Your choice.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Get the MacBook or a reburb Pro, Apple Care is always worth having.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

All models for the past year have had the same graphics card, so all with the card are affected.

13. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

since your new to Mac get the macbook to have all that fun of oppening the box and of being the new onw to use it:D

now if you don't care, get a refurbished mbpro

Whatever you pick, you'll love your machine