New Macbook? or iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BostonAppleFan, Oct 16, 2008.

1. BostonAppleFan macrumors newbie

ok, I am in a predicament. my 1.3 ghz iBook G4 has just died on me and I find myself without a computer. Not terrible timing seeing as the new macbooks just came out. However, I was planning on replacing my iBook with a 3.06, 24 inch iMac. Now my question is, how much better is the iMac versus the new laptops? I would be willing to spend upto the same price point so that means Macbook pros are also a possibility. And are the iMacs about to be overhauled? What should I do? I am completely stumped by this one as I dont want top buy an iMac just to have it replaced so soon, but I do need a computer. Any thoughts?

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If you need a portable obviously I would say shoot for the macbook. If you want the bigger screen and your laptop spends most of its time on the desk then go for the iMac, although its not an ideal time to buy who knows when they are going to be updated (maybe next week or maybe january) plus you can pickup a good deal on a refurb iMac....

ShadoW

3. bodgerx macrumors newbie

I was having the same dilemma. I waited a while for the Macbook Pro 15" update to replace my early 2007 model. I was hoping for more screen resolution, but they didn't bother. This pretty much resolved it for me - I've ordered a 24" iMac 2.8.

4. aarchitect macrumors member

I just moved from a 15" G4 Powerbook to a 24" iMac since I found myself wanting the screen real estate more than the portability. I used to take my laptop everywhere but that has changed since the iPhone is essentially my portable computer. I have no regrets getting the iMac, even after seeing the new Macbook line.

I too was hoping that they would drop the prices on the iMac (they still might) to bring them back in line with the Macbooks. If you get a refurb from Apple, you will get what should be the reduced price.

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I think the current macbook would be good for you. You don't really 'replace' an ibook with an iMac. It's definitely a different computer. If you need any sort of portability, which it seems like you are since you had the ibook, I'd get the current macbook

6. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

The absolute best thing you can do is what I did. Get a Macbook, get the highest end of the original Macbook, not the pro. With the extra money you have, get a 20, 22, 24 inch monitor. Get the Mini-DVI to either DVI or VGA cable (vga will serve you better imo). All you need now is an external keyboard and mouse. You come home, plug it all up and you have the equivalent of the iMac. Then you just lift the screen up, unplug it and you have a MacBook, win win. I did this for a long time, about 85 percent of my Macbook's life is on my desktop. I'm actually getting an iMac soon, hopefully before Thanksgiving.