New Macbook or iPad Air 2 as a complimentary device?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hmm chocolate, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Hmm chocolate macrumors newbie

Hmm chocolate

I currently own a 15" rMBP which I use for graduate school and some light gaming (sims 4 yaaaas)

While I only live 3 minutes of walking distance away from my uni and carrying my rmbp with me is not a problem, it's really inconvenient for using during lectures. Until now I've been using a first gen iPad mini for lectures. I've seen people with 11" mbas in lectures but while OS X > iOS for work I prefer reading class related ebooks on a touch screen. I'm also not sure what to think of the use of actual notebooks during a lecture.. In addition, I use notability to record lectures while making some quick notes. Only problem with the ipad mini is the very obvious lag and the on screen keyboard being too small to use for proper typing. Now I've owned an iPad 2nd gen during undergrad school before and I've actually typed out 3k word reports on it without problems (though I do remember switching between pdfs and pages being a bit of a hassle). It even replaced my dying asus laptop during my last year of undergrad :eek:. However, the ultra portability of the new 12" macbook packing a whole OS X is appealing as well.. But then again, aren't 2 notebooks overkill? Are there any multi window workarounds for the ipad air 2 and how are people feeling about using an ipad air 2 with physical keyboard for work on the go?

Thank you for reading!

2. Abbara macrumors member

If you can afford it, it's a great note taking device. It's also ridiculously expensive and unnecessary to do that. A MBA 11", chromebooks, the new asus Zenbook [0] etc are all just as capable and cheaper note taking devices.

An iPad, I don't know how anyone writes papers on it. Doing 100 citations for example, quick typing, having two pages on the screen at once, working with 10 different documents, doing some SPSS. I can't imagine the iPad. It surprises me though how many people seem to disagree and type ********s on their iPad, so don't take it from me. But yeah, for me it's like people doing homework on their Apple Watch, just a world of difference. I'd rather have pen & paper for school than write school work on an iPad actually.

I agree reading books on it is nicer than on a computer screen. Although I still buy my books physically.

So what is inconvenient about your rMBP if carrying it for 3 minutes is not a problem? Sounds great. Whip it open, full production environment on your desk, wake from sleep in 1s etc. I just couldn't imagine lugging it around but if that's not a problem for you?

Anyway if you have and keep a rMBP and an iPad is good enough for typing on, I'd get a MBA or e.g. [0]. rMB is a luxury device. If you can afford it and you don't know a better way of spending a few hundred bucks, sure, it'd be very very nice for you.

Two notebooks overkill... kinda. Doesn't look like you need a rMBP 15", you don't seem to do anything heavy nor need a heavier/large screen mobile device. You need a mobile device, and something decent & large screen at home probably. If you could do it all over, I'd probably buy a MBA with 8gb and an iMac 27 base model or something. Or just a fast MBA 13" or rMBP 13" with an external screen for at home, they're fast, nice battery life and even the rMBP 13 is quite portable nowadays.

iPad can be an extra luxury, but if you're just going to use it for reading books besides your laptop, you might want to opt for a cheap (perhaps non-apple, or older apple) tablet because performance etc isn't a big issue for that usecase, as long as the screen is nice & crisp.

[0] http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX305FA/

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I just bought an iPad Air 2, wonderful device. The dictation functionality is so advanced that I rarely even have to use the keyboard, just tap the speaker key and start talking. I highly recommend an iPad.

4. AndroidNmac macrumors newbie

I like the air 2 for ebooks and powerpoints, but not a fan of it for notetaking and productivity. I have a bluetooth keyboard and have tried various apps, but if I'm going to type up notes, I'd rather just bring a laptop.

Don't always use it, but usually bring the ipad to class. If I do use it, it will typically be for an ebook or browser while I take hand-written notes.

5. AppDevJP macrumors newbie

I have a similar setup.

15" rMBP that I use for my dev work and iPad with bluetooth keyboard for reading and writing.

I think iPad with bluetooth keyboard is enough for note taking. I would think you'll only need text editor when taking notes. If you also use an iPhone, you can use it for voice memos. Or pair your keyboard with your iPhone and type notes on it while using iPad for your reading material. Just get a good bluetooth keyboard.

I currently use Targus bluetooth keyboard but I might try this one...
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/universal-foldable-keyboard

6. brentsg macrumors 68030

iPad is best for consumption, with the Macbook for light production, imo.

7. Askolan macrumors member

My vote goes to getting a smaller laptop over an iPad, like the MBA 11". OS X is so much better than iOS that the eBooks advantage is quickly lost. The only detriment is the subpar screen.

8. LT_Smash macrumors newbie

I'm certain the OP has already made his mind up, being that this thread is almost 2 years old.

9. Askolan macrumors member

Sorry, I don't know why this popped up on my "front page" feed.