New Macbook or new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedJeans, May 19, 2010.

1. RedJeans macrumors member

I'm purchasing a 13.3" Apple laptop and I don't know which of the two to purchase. I always thought I would get the Macbook Pro but now that the Macbook's have been refreshed, should I consider them?

I'll be starting university in September - and do the following on the computer: MSN, Internet, MS Office, music, movies, rare Photoshop, rare light gaming.

Thoughts?

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

There is really no difference between a 13" MBP and MB EXCEPT Ram. If you add the additional 2GB Ram to the MB i believe you will be left with only a $100 price difference....

So this is what you get for the $100.

- SD Card slot
    - Backlit Keyboard
    - Aluminum Body

One thing I don't know about is SOFTWARE. I'm not sure if MBPs come with any additional software than the MB. Check into that.

To me personally, it's definitely worth the added $100.

3. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

There is no difference in software between any of the Apple computers. Unless of course you get OS X Server.

The MacBook and MacBook Pro have all the same stuff.

But if you're considering the MacBook, look into a previous gen refurb. They're only $759.

4. supabooma macrumors newbie

It should be also worth mentioning that the MacBooks Pros come with FireWire 800, whereas the MacBooks don't.

5. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

True. Hardly anyone buying a lower end Mac even knows what FW is anyway though. :D

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

The only thing that makes the regular MacBook IMO is the screen is much less reflective than the regular MacBook pro 13 in. The 13 is very reflective compared to the MacBook.

7. supabooma macrumors newbie

lol I see your logic.

8. Drew n macs macrumors member

Well said.

I am in the same situation torn between the two. the Macbook might be more prone to scratches? with such a large purchase price on either it may be worth the money for a protective carrying case. For the macbook it may be wise to also get a hard shell for it which would push the price closer to MBP where as the MBP may be ok with out a hard protective case? from what I have seen at the store it seems that macbook scratches alot easier than MBP. Also it looked like macbook bottom cover can get dirty pretty easy.
    someone correct me if I am wrong?

If you are considering the macbook it may be wise to buy refurb vs new macbook (759).

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

aluminum can be scratched (fairly easily) and can also be dented.. So I don't think there is much of a difference there.

10. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I'm not sure if the MB actually scratches easier or if they just show up more due to the very glossy finish on the plastic body. And a hard shell will actually cause scratches because dust and dirt gets trapped between the case and the machine. The rubber bottom does attract more dirt but is also very easy to clean.

11. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I agree the Aluminum is a big selling point for most people but for me the backlit keyboard is HUGE!! I use my laptop at night all the time and the backlit keyboard definitely helps if I lose my bearing on the keyboard.

Plus I'm a PC user who just moved over to the Mac, and I have to keep looking at the keyboard for some keys.

12. EasyJW macrumors member

MBP can take 8gb ram whereas the macbook can't? in my family, we have both and i play on both and to be quite honest, i prefer the white macbook. I have no reason for it, i just pick that one up first and the mbp second [​IMG]