New Macbook or New WHITE Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mossbreaker, May 7, 2009.

1. mossbreaker macrumors newbie

I have very basic computer needs - basically all I use it for is the internet and the usual programs (photo library, iTunes, bitTorrent, etc). However, I WOULD like to be able to play the Sims 2 (actually even the Sims 3 when it comes out). I couldn't do this with my original white macbook (I bought this computer in June 2006) because they said it didn't have a dedicated graphics card - so I ran the Sims 2, but very....very....very....slowly....to the point where the game was unplayable.

So I'm about to get a new computer and am wondering if the new white Macbooks they have for sale now would be able to play the sims 2/3, or if to do that I would definitely need to get the aluminum one.

Thanks in advance.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

3. aleni macrumors 68020

i think it will be pretty crappy to play sims 3.

4. svndmvn Guest

5. mossbreaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Crappier than the aluminum or are both equally "crappy"?

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I actually don't think that the new whitebook will be crappy for Sims 3. It's well above minimum spec, including graphics. EA have even promised that it will work with Intel 3100 graphics. The Nvidia 9400m should have no problem. The alu macbook would only be a very slight improvement.

7. mossbreaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly what I needed to know - you're a beast, thanks.

8. gertruded macrumors regular

White macbook is ok

I got my new refurb white Macbook with the Nvidia chip last week. It is silly fast compared to my Mini core duo. I don't play games on it but it will run two different MP4 film clips at once using an external monitor for one of the clips.

$850 at the refurb store. But be careful, they also have the intel 3100 there for the same price. Machine looked new to me.

9. aleni macrumors 68020

Minimum specs are ********. It's not enjoyable to play if you have specs only slightly above the minimum requirements.