New MacBook or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msaftw, Apr 8, 2013.

  1. msaftw macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Location:
    Houston, Tx
    #1
    I have an existing HP laptop that recently had the screen shattered and I was connecting it to an external display, just trying to get by until the new MacBooks come out...But, the other day it started to fail to connect. I then called HP and took it to their service center and they told it wouldn't even be worth it to shell out the $200 because it won't boot (something else apparently has happened). So now I'm wondering do I go ahead and purchase the current gen MacBooks (with no computer for the time being) or wait (if it'll most likely be a dramatic upgrade) for the newer generation....Would it matter if I'm maybe going with the Retina version? Is there a 2013 non-retina MacBook or 2012 only? Also, since the computer won't display what would be the best way to move files over, enclosure, etc.?
     
  2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #2
    Get a new MBP, don't wait. Clearly the priority is a new MBP over waiting.

    Get a new MPB now, when the new 2013 models come out in late summer/fall then sell and buy.
     
  3. exoceano macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2011
    #3
    Macbook ?

    will new line up not be announced until late summer fall - won't htis put Apple behind the college buying season - they usually announce their education promotions in June ? And will there be a lower cost laptop to replace the long los, and maybe deservedly so MacBook ??Seems like an important market to capture and hold in their formative years. :rolleyes:
     
  4. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

    IlikeMacsSoMuch

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2009
    Location:
    Blainville, Province of Quebec
    #4

    Hi, the most recent updates in the macbook lines did not include the cmbp (non - retina) but I bought my non retina macbook pro and I would not change it for anything. If you need a laptop, in my opinion it is useless to wait for the update since it shouldn't be revolutionary. But a lot of people here on this forum ( including me) think that the non-retina might be dropped at that time.

    Before you commit to buy anything, be sure to compare all models because the non-retina and retina are quite different, what will do it for you will depend on your needs.

    For the files transfer, are you able to remove the hdd from your actual laptop? It shouldn't be complicated if you have a minimum of skills, there are tons of info on the net if you don't know how. Then you'll need an adapter to plug it into your mac, a USB 2.0 or 3.0 to SATA/IDE cable isn't expensive at all.

    Else, if you know your way around linux, you might boot from a live cd then use it to transfer your files on a usb stick. G-Parted can be used for this as well. There are tons of distros of linux that are free to download out there and G-parted is free as well.

    Or, in an actual Apple store, a "genius" will certainly be able to help you with that for a fee, or if you buy it at Bestbuy or future shop you might, and I emphasize might be able to have it done fro free if you can negotiate a little.;)
     
  5. msaftw thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Location:
    Houston, Tx
    #5
    Thanks for all the help! I ordered a 2.6 ghz cMBP with 750 GB HDD and 8 GB of ram. I just removed the old HDD and put it in a metal enclosure and transferred files via USB 3.0. Great purchase!!
     
  6. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

    IlikeMacsSoMuch

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2009
    Location:
    Blainville, Province of Quebec
    #6
    It is a great buy! In time you will be able to upgrade it if you need to:

    http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_mid12/

    Congrats and enjoy!
     

Share This Page