Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Besides the screen and graphics card, they seem to be very similar. The price is also very comparable, any suggestions?

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
What ever you like more, The extra portability, or more Graphics power. I guess The new MacBook has a better case. Or if you need Firewire then Get the Pro.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
How big of a difference is the graphics from the MacBook and the 256mb MacBook Pro with the 8600?

Also what is going on with the bad NVIDIA cards in the 8600 right now? Last question, how big of a difference does the bus speed play between the two computers?

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
How big of a difference is the graphics from the MacBook and the 256mb MacBook Pro with the 8600?

Also what is going on with the bad NVIDIA cards in the 8600 right now? Last question, how big of a difference does the bus speed play between the two computers?

The Graphics will be a bit better on the Pro, My Guess is you won't really notice a difference unless your a heavy gamer. The FSB will make a bit of difference in just General Performance. I think the 8600 is ok, although if you feel uncomfortable then I would get the Macbook. To be honest I would get the macbook unless your a heavy gamer.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Pros of MacBook Pro:

-Better Screen
-Matte or Glossy
-Better graphics card

Pros of MacBook:

-More portable
-Better case design
-New

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Pros of MacBook Pro:

-Better Screen
-Matte or Glossy
-Better graphics card

Pros of MacBook:

-More portable
-Better case design
-New

What about the keyboard? I think the old Pro's keyboard would be better considering it is aluminum instead of plastic (no oil stains, etc). And the touch pad as well. I am not sure which makes more sense right now...

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
What about the keyboard? I think the old Pro's keyboard would be better considering it is aluminum instead of plastic (no oil stains, etc). And the touch pad as well. I am not sure which makes more sense right now...

The Pro's Keyboard is Plastic too. Just painted Silver. The Macbooks touchpad is Glass Most people like that better.

Purple Pelican

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Also, if there are any Rev.A issues on the MacBook (I don't think we've seen any yet, though), that might be a small reason to consider the old MBP.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Yeah, me too.

I'm looking at the same decision, except I'm looking at both models on craigslist today.

The mbp has a 2.2, 7200 rpm 200gig hd, and 128 meg graphics, 4 gigs of ram, and comes with an encase bag and keyboard cover. It's eligible for either applecare or the best buy warranty.

The new mb was bought by a college kid a couple of days ago, and he decided he didn't like the Mac OS. It's the entry level new macbook

I can get either today for $1300, and I've got a pretty tough choice to make. I entered a thread this morning before I saw yours.

Considering my needs, I'm considering the mb even though its less of a savings (Basically, I won't be paying sales tax.) because of portability, no need for firewire, the new design, more of an initial warranty, and cheaper applecare on the macbook.

OTOH, the mbp has the bigger screen, (slightly) larger hard drive and non-integrated graphics (though with less video ram). It also comes with a case and keyboard cover. Both, IMHO, are excellent deals. I'm just not sure which way to go.

darcytu

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
I have been pondering the same. I finally got to the Apple store last night and really like the look of the new MacBook a lot more than I thought I would. Its sleekness didn't come across in pictures. That new case and new trackpad were a lot more appealing in person.

I also like the fact that I can upgrade the hard drive myself up to 500 gb, and the MBP would require a technician to do the upgrade. Additionally, that GPU issue in the MBP worries me a bit. I have never bought AppleCare on my previous Macs, and didn't want to have to add it just in case. Having to pay someone to upgrade the hd, plus buy AppleCare really took away some of the "bargain" factor of the old MBP.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
The Pro's Keyboard is Plastic too. Just painted Silver. The Macbooks touchpad is Glass Most people like that better.

Wow, I never knew that! I feel stupid now! Lol

Anyways, my friend works at apple and said that she can get me 15% off a new mbp, so that brings it to $1699....only 200 more than the new mb (on edu discount). I am going jump all over this, as it seems to be a fantastic deal!

Before this, I was def leaning towards the pro for FireWire and express slot.

BrokenE

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Houston
in think it depends in what you are gonna use of for and what size screen you have now. I bought my first laptop, an HP, 2 years ago. Then march 08, I bought my daughter a MB. Now my daughter has to pry the MB from my hands. But there's only one thing I like better about the HP, that's the 15" screen. If I had to live with 13 I could, but my next laptop will be a MBP just for that one reason. GL :)

clyde2801

macrumors 601
woot

Bought a (two day) used one off of CL, guy had a receipt and signed a bill of sale. Had it for 1 1/2 hrs now, wiped the hd, installed my info, and registered with apple. Goodness, it's a fast, pretty, solid little machine. I thought the small screen would bother me, but it doesn't. Same with the glossy.

Now, all i have to do is find a case, so I can show this little puppy off!

gorebeast

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
USA - NJ
I also like the fact that I can upgrade the hard drive myself up to 500 gb, and the MBP would require a technician to do the upgrade.

A technician required? hardly. That sounds like something an apple store employee would tell customers to scare them away from the old MPB and "push the new product".

I'd like to think that anyone who reads the following guide and takes care and patience with their actions could easily replace the drive...:confused:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo/Hard-Drive-Replacement/115/10/Page-1

MainStreeter

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Similar question

My wife is an executive director for a not-for-profit and I am looking to replace her laptop for Christmas. I was considering getting her the new MacBook, but see that Amazon is selling the older model MacBook Pro for a similar price when you factor in the rebate. ($1444 at http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB133LL...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224516303&sr=8-1).

If you were me, would you buy her a new MacBook or the MacBook Pro?

FYI, I have worked excusively off the Pros for years... but have never owned a MacBook. She does not use graphics applications... mostly administrative work (MS Office, etc.).

Thanks for the advice!

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I got the previous generation MacBook Pro because I wanted the larger screen and the matte LCD.

I paid $1599 for a brand new 2.5 GHz, 512 MB VRAM version at Best Buy. I got them to price match the student discount to get that extra $200 off from $1799.

supermax217

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
I paid $1500 including free shipping and tax.
Got my self Previous generator MBP. I think it was a good deal with Education discount which is $200 only for MBP.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Besides the screen and graphics card, they seem to be very similar. The price is also very comparable, any suggestions?

I struggled with the same decision - I ultimately chose the new MB for a couple of reasons. I'll share them with you and I'm sure I'll be second-guessed endlessly... ;)

1) I appreciate the increased portability of the MB compared to the MBP (have a 15" PB G4 & just a bit cumbersome at times to lug it everywhere)
2) Once I saw the MB in the store, the form factor / design won me over (reminded me of the 12" PB which I always wanted)
3) I will likely buy AppleCare, and the MBP AppleCare costs $100 more, so negates some of the savings on the computer
4) Report earlier this week on Macrumors about improved graphics performance watching movies / trailers on MB compared to last gen MBP (sorry, I couldn't find link easily)
5) Loss of Firewire not a huge problem for me as no true dedicated FW devices

Just some of my reasons - this week thus far it seems many more people have decided to go the refurb MBP route.

Best wishes & good luck!

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
I had the same problem, and quickly decided on a new Macbook. Mainly because I was in the store and liked how the new 13" looked. Specs-wise the new MB vs. old MBP seem pretty similar to me other than the screen size and slightly better graphics card on the MBP.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
Some of the old MBP graphics card carries some problems, so you might run into one. I would go with the new one, because it's a better deal. You can get an extra graphics card and a more high quality case. If you don't mind the glossy screen and new keyboard... go for it. Either way, both of them are great and powerful machines.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
I got the previous generation MacBook Pro because I wanted the larger screen and the matte LCD.

I paid $1599 for a brand new 2.5 GHz, 512 MB VRAM version at Best Buy. I got them to price match the student discount to get that extra $200 off from $1799.

After seeing you posting that, I went to bestbuy and try to get the price match. They wouldn't honor it because it was in the "Clearance" area and was a student discount on a clearance product. :rolleyes:

So, I just ended up getting the MBP from Apple.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.