New macbook or old macbook air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by -Dan-, Oct 22, 2008.

1. -Dan- macrumors newbie

Sooo, I have been debating between these two notebooks for a week now - the old macbook air or the new 13.3" macbook.

I'll be using it for word processing, browsing the web, etc. I don't intend to do any gaming; the only heavy thing the notebook gets to do is Adobe Lightroom / Photoshop CS3/4. I'm not sure if I'd really WANT this with the Macbook Air's 4200rpm drive, though.

I've had some concerns with the Air, as there are quite some people complaining about the heat. But, as I'm only using the notebook for word processing / web browsing, I wonder if this is really an issue for me. I won't be doing any image editing on my lap, but rather on a flat surface (ie: a table) so that the airflow is better.

As I will be travelling a lot with my notebook (every day to school), the weight of the Air is obviously a big plus. I do, however, wonder if the Air is able to get 4hrs of web browsing (brightness about 50-60%?) on one battery. Does the new Macbook actually gets 4hrs? I've read contrary things on this.

Price-wise, they are more or less the same. The Air is about 1200EUR, while the Macbook is about 1100EUR. You do get a free iPod Nano and printer with the Macbook, but I don't really need those.

What would you guys recommend?

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I have an old mackbook air and it can very hot while i am writing and web surfing. I bought it for the travel factor and in regard to that its perfect.

If i had to choos i would go for the new mackbook.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

For bang for the buck I'd go w/ the new MacBook. Fast processor, decent video, full set of ports other than FW. It's not that much heavier than the MBA and it looks pretty sleek itself.

The MBA is cool and def. a great machine for traveling but I don't see it as a "main" machine, but rather a supplement. It has a pretty weak processor, small storage, and one lonely USB port.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBA that has just been superseded, the one you are thinking of buying, is superb if portability is your main concern. Your post doesn't sem to suggest this, and frankly, the new MBA has considerably better memory spec. If portability is not the key consideration, then without doubt go for the new MB, as it is a very impressive upgrade and a considerable improvement in a number of ways over its predecessor.
    Cheers and good luck

5. suburbia macrumors 6502

Definitely go with the new Macbook-- if only because CS4 will be a resident of your notebook.

The current MacBook Air is still a "presentation" notebook for me.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Impressive upgrade? mmmmmm whatever. Considering the new one doesn't have any better performance than the old one did. The new 2.4 is about the same as the previous 2.4 in performance in benchmark scores. The new 2.0 is 20% less against the old 2.4 in benchmark scores.

The screen and graphic card is better in the new one. Design wise it depends on who is looking at it. Some like it, some don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing.

7. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

macbook the air is for running presentations and surfing anything more than that it cant handle.

8. thr61 macrumors newbie

I am finding myself in the same boat. I travel a few times a month and commute daily with my current MBP. The device is just too large, although it is my only machine.

I checked out the new MB today at the Apple store and found it heavy compared to the current MBA. I also did not like the glossy screen so much.

I have wanted an Air since using one this summer, but do have some concerns about it being my day to day machine. However, my primary usage is email, web, word and excel (small files), and some minor image edits. No photoshop or illustrator.

I would get the new MBA, not the current version.

Has the OP made a decision? Other thoughts?

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I take your point completely; however, I suspect that heads have been turned by the aluminium casing of the MB. Myself, I have a splendid MBP that I have no intention of changing at any time in the near future as I am perfectly happy with it, but fashion is fashion, and some people just like to have the latest, and best looking thing out there.
    Cheers

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I say go with the MacBook.

11. -Dan- thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the comments. I'm still not sure what to do. The new MBA sounds appealing but the price is too high for me. The 'old' MBA was too expensive too, until a few days ago when the prices drastically dropped on eBay :).

As battery life is a big factor for me, I'm not really sure if any Mac notebook is for me. I've been reading very different things regarding the MB's battery life. I might even go the Windows-route (HP 2510/2530p?), who knows..