New Macbook or Old Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by disco2000, Oct 14, 2008.

1. disco2000 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, first time poster here.

So I've held out since April on buying a new laptop (and my first Apple) but upon seeing the new releases I'm a bit disappointed, especially with the glossy screen, the so-so performance and the high prices of the new Macbooks.
    While searching for other options, I noticed that the previous gen Macbook Pros (refurbished) are available for $1449CAD on the Apple store. Should I jump on one of these now? Or do you think I'll be able to get left over stock from other places for cheaper if I wait out a bit?

2. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Generally speaking Apple's refurbs are less-expensive than new closeout items elsewhere.

At the moment Apple's new closeout items are also cheaper than other retailers' but they will probably adjust their prices.

I'd go with the refurb if you really want the best price, you will probably not find a new closeout one elsewhere for less or the same price.

3. edn34 macrumors newbie

I am interested in this possibility too, but I was wondering if someone could answer a question. On Apple.com I see the Refurbished Mac section, but I also see a Clearance section, which has the old MacBook Pros (for now). Are the items in the Clearance section "new", as in they are not returned and refurbished items? Does anyone have any experience with buying products from the Clearance section on Apple.com? Should I avoid this option, or is it generally better than getting a refurbished model? Thanks.

I figured I would ask in this thread, rather than starting a new topic...

4. dougnewman macrumors 6502

5. edn34 macrumors newbie

6. CommodityFetish macrumors regular

CommodityFetish

Yesterday's MBP for me

I just placed my order for the refurbished 15" MBP, yesterday's model. It's 33% off the original price!

I was also waiting for the new MacBooks to get the LED screens, Multitouch trackpad, aluminum case, etc. And then I realized for just $160 more I could get:

15" display
    Matte display (a big one for me - I don't like glossy, and this may be the last of the matte displays for apple :()
    2.0 --> 2.4 Ghz processor bump
    160GB --> 200GB hard drive bump
    Integrated Nvidia --> Dedicated Nvidia graphics card
    Firewire 400 port
    Full size external monitor port

While still getting:
    multitouch trackpad (albeit not the bigger/glass/no-button)
    LED display

It's one pound heavier.

With all that, I couldn't justify not getting yesterdays MBP!

My PBG4 is finally able to retire! :)

7. ADswitcher macrumors newbie

I am doing exactly the same! Cheers!

8. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about doing the same thing too... So temping and such a good price

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i did the same thing but i bought the 2.5GHz MBP /250GB /8600GT /512MB VRAM for $1499. it's the alternative for the $1999 MBP or the $1599 MB from yesterday.

the main reasons were the matte display and the firewire ports and of course the money. I think the entire line is very expensive now. Not really overpriced because you get premium design and great features. But if you just go for usability then the refurb MBP's are a real steal and just as fast as the new MBPs and a lot faster than the new MB's.

The only real drawback is the user replacable HD. But with a bit a sense of adventure you still can do that. The other drawback is of course the cool looks of the new models.;)

10. dougnewman macrumors 6502

You're welcome.