New Macbook or Old Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davisac, Oct 14, 2008.

1. davisac macrumors member

Well Im watching the updates here and not sure what to do. Not too thrilled with the Macbook update. Mainly bc of the price increase. (But I dont like the plastic ones either so i guess Im picky). But trying to weigh the pros/cons of the new one vs. buying a refurbished MBP? Any thoughts? thanks

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

3. davisac thread starter macrumors member

Refurbished MBP

How long will the refurbished MBPs probably last? and how far will they drop?

4. apulk macrumors newbie

I have the same question. I can get a new 2.0ghz, 160gb Macbook with education discount for $1249 + tax or the old MBP 2.2ghz, but only 120gb drive for $1399 + about $30 shipping from Macmall. Older model but 15.4" screen and still pretty speedy. Or I could also just buy the older 2.4ghz macbook too and probably save some $$$$.

I thought I would be rushing to buy after the announcement -- very luke warm feeling -- nice, but nothing special. Haven't use the MBP....which would you pick.

5. eninety88 macrumors newbie

i purchased a macbook pro SR 2.4 about 2 weeks ago. Come today i thought i was going to be sad and depressed but i just couldnt wait for certain reasons. But im not!!!! I'm actually really happy that i got mine. First i hate the chicklet keyboard. Two toned isnt my thing. It detracts from the overall sleekness of the notebook. I didnt lose on thinness or weight...because they're virtually the same... .96 inches vs.1.05...a 10th of an inch. Weight stayed the same. Graphics cards, the macbook has the 9400gm which stinks compared the 8600gt 256mb. The new macbook pro gpu is really nice but again...i dont play intensive games that much so i didnt miss out there..

The only advantage of the new macbook over the old mbp is the size really. Weight is not too big of a difference. the macbook is a hefty 13.3 incher.

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

both updates to the pro and macbook today were pretty darn solid. May be the prices not so but whatever. The macbook now looks like a really good machine in a small package.

7. eninety88 macrumors newbie

updates in casings...i guess....hardware...besides LED screen on macbook, no button touch pad (WTF???), chicklet keyboard, and a better graphics card... okay so there was a substantial upgrade lol. IDK not enough to wow me compared to my current SR MBP because i guess the old MBP had most of that and the things it didnt, well i wouldnt miss it.

8. G5power macrumors 6502

To the OP I would go with the new "refurb" sites $1349 MBP rather then the new MB. You score a larger screen size and in my opinion a bit nice computer and several hundred less then the new top of line MB.

9. disco2000 macrumors newbie

What I'm wondering is will we see new MBP's drop to the price of the refurb ones? As in left over stock from before, not stuff they've refurbished.

Or are these "refurbished" laptops new?

10. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Good question - probably refurbished I would guess. What they didn't sell probably goes to resellers like MacMall for a discount.

11. disco2000 macrumors newbie

Do you think retailers (like BestBuy or a university bookstore) would sell them at a discount? And if so, for cheaper than the refurb ones? Still trying to figure out what the best deal is, but I also want to jump on the refurb ones online since I don't think they'll be around that much longer..

12. davisac thread starter macrumors member

how low will the price go and how long will they last? i want to get one but if their going to drop $100 next week i dont want to really buy one right now

13. disco2000 macrumors newbie

Just called the Apple store here in Vancouver, the representative said the discount on older MBP's will be from anywhere between $50-100...
    Sign me up for a refurbished

14. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

I like the look of the aluminium MB; tempted to replace my Feb '08 MBP even.

With the LED-backlighting across the whole spectrum, and much improved graphics, there's a lot less to choose between the new MBs and the new MBPs than there was with the old ones IMO.

The aluminium MB is far more like the 12" PB than anything we've seen in the meantime, and that can only be a good thing.

15. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I went ahead and purchased a refurbished Macbook Pro today for $1440. I was saving my money for a new Macbook, but the lack of Firewire and the two toned look doesn't fly with me very well. For a few hundred more, I think I got a better deal.

16. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Nothing like the 12" PB at all. At least to me. Will not be upgrading. No FireWire.

17. G5power macrumors 6502

In the past Apple has dumped the previous generation through their refurb site and at college book stores.

18. disco2000 macrumors newbie

Just went ahead and ordered a refurb 2.4ghz MBP for $1449CAD
    Hopefully it's a new old stock, not a refurb, but if it ain't I won't notice.

It's only gotta last me till the next case redesign :p

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Honestly, especially with Apple recent problems with any new revision I would hit up the Refurb site and get yourself a nice pre oct. 14 MBP. You'll save on money and on headaches.

I would get one sooner then later, with an overwhelmingly negative debut I have a feeling the older model MBs and MBP will become harder and more costly to find.

20. DamagedSky macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting a refurbed MBP as well, but does anyone know if they will include the latest chipset (Penryn)? I'm not sure how far back these refurbs go, just wanted to make sure I was getting the best possible.

21. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

The refurb site...thats the option through Apple.com, right?

22. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Yep it's some kind of audience shift. I couldn't even remember if the 12" PB had firewire. I never used the one on mine. The FW switching back and forward of late is a bit darn odd though - the first MBP didn't have an 800 or something?

And now they're using FW to differentiate the market. I guess with the improved graphics and technology parity between the MB and MBP, they needed some separators ... FW, express card, graphics - is that it now? I do like that they are no longer separating on the technology though; the LED-backlighting and massive graphics gap were big pushes to the pro in February.

So it's a 12" PB replacement for part of its former market, and it's just sad for the other part :(.

23. disco2000 macrumors newbie

So since I bought a refurbished MBP, that means I won't have problems with the GPU right?

24. stark4 macrumors 6502

How is the graphic cards compare to New Macbook and Old macbook pro?

old macbook pro graphic card is still better than new macbook?

do i get edu discount on Refurbished macbooks on apple website?

i can't believe they discontinued black macbook...ahh

25. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Unless you need the smaller size the old MBP is superior in every way to the new MB and at the current price difference, IMO a far better buy.

The graphics card is still much better, the screen is larger and higher-resolution, you have FireWire (400 and 800), most people find the keyboard better too.

The main downside is that the hard drive isn't user-upgradeable. Also Apple claims the new MB should be more durable, though I've never found the old MBP to have quality issues (unlike the old plastic MB).

As for discounts, sadly the edu discount does not apply to refurb items, but the new closeout items do get an edu discount making them only slightly more expensive than the refurbs.