New MacBook or old?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by R2T2, Oct 20, 2008.

1. R2T2 macrumors newbie

R2T2

I'm looking to buy a MacBook next week and don't know which one to get. I currently stand at $1600 Canadian and am planning to drop it all on a brand new MacBook. The only thing that my MacBook really has to have is the ability to play Starcraft II when it releases..

Here are the Canadian prices:
    2.1GHz White: $1149.99
    2.4GHz White: $1349.99
    2.4GHz Black: $1549.99
    2.0GHz New: $1399.99
    2.4GHz New: $1749.99
    ***Canadian tax is currently 13%

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

This is my latest rule of thumb: If you want a MacBook for gaming, don't buy an old revision. Whether it's any color, shape, or size, always but the latest model for gaming.

3. R2T2 thread starter macrumors newbie

R2T2

Should I be worried about the "cover problem" at all or just buy the new MB regardless?

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Hmm. Didn't know about that.

I thought about taking one of the covers off when i was at the apple store the other day but didn't want to get yelled at. :rolleyes:

6. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

It seems like you want to play starcraft. Go with the new one. The previous graphic card cannot handle it well since it's not that great. The new graphics card was tested to play games and it worked a lot better. Besides, the new graphics card is 5x faster and you actually pay less for the new one. These graphics card are probably worth about 100-250 USD.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd also recommend new in this context. The recently upgrades have made the difference between the old and the new to genuinely make it worth your while considering a new machine, especially for the purposes that you have in mind, such as gaming.

Cheers and good luck